NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw several magazines running the same poll results recently, where Ugly Stick Elites won favorite casting and spinning rods, with St Croix and G Loomis coming in 2nd and 3rd.

That's a huge price gap, from #1 to #s 3 and 4. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a lot of anglers would rather spend $40 than $140-240 for a rod.

Comments posted about the Elites seemed to lean towards toughness.

I've owned one Ugly Stick Elite. I bought it just several months ago. I've owned older versions of the Ugly Stick over the years. But I've only used my newer one a few times. Can't figure out if it's the reel or rod, but it casts poorly. I was recently tempted to buy a couple more due to our recent trend of closing rods under the lid on the boat. So far we're up to three snapped rods! Luckily one snapped literally right at the metal of the end tip/eye, and I was able to reattach the original tip. Rod only got a half inch shorter. The two Berkley Lightnings lost over 6" each.

So, I've seen people on here recommend the Ugly Sticks. Let's here some comments and opinions on them. I'll probably still buy a smaller one for my son's spinning reel. But not sure how I feel about buying another one for myself. I'm going to swap reels on the one I have, and see if it casts better with a different reel.

I've overheard some conversations, and read a few comments online about Ugly Sticks. Seems some do not like the GX2, but love the Elite.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm interested in the same question, I have several and each one has been good for me.
I've got a few reels that I need rods for, one of them is a Ambassador 5000 ,which ugly stick would be best?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
When I started out bass fishing all my rods were Ugly Stiks... Originals and Lites. I caught plenty of fish on them. I still have my first one as a matter of fact, Probably got it around 1993 or 94 and it has been through alot. Most of mine were medium action, they served pretty well as multi purpose rods for me. A little softer than I like for jigs and plastic but they worked, I thought they served pretty good as crankbait and topwater rods too. I have since upgraded to high end technique specific stuff but cant forget where I started from. I ended up selling a few of them and still got a few that probably havent been in the boat in 2 years or more.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have a couple of the Ugly Intercoastals , I use them for chunking gotchas on the pier and general surf stuff. They are durable, flexible and have a nice whip for chunking plugs a mile, but for that you will lose sensitivity which in some types of fishing is more important than others. I'd say that is going to be the case with all Uglys. That's durability comes mostly from flexibility and that comes with a loss of sensitivity overall. Would I toss crankbaits with one? sure... would I drop shot or try any form of finesse fishing with one? probably not.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I picked up a couple of GX2s on sale at the Raleigh show. Somebody stole all my gear while I was having dinner at a Waffle House last fall so I had to have something and I am really rough on rods. Just fished them for the second time this weekend and they may not be perfect but I am happy with the backbone and fast tip. Need to practice some more to fine tune my casting.

·
Registered
567 Posts
There are definitely better, more expensive rods, but they can get the job done. I have one for catfish/surf, and I've had a couple for bass and stuff over the past few of years. They are really tough, and plus they have a seven year warranty on them (the originals). My dad loves them, and he even has $200-300 reels on original ugly sticks lol... I really don't use them for bass anymore, but they aren't bad for the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
I like mine Have only found one weakness so far. They are not as strong as a garage door and will break!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I love them for young or newbie anglers because they are so tough. I've owned several over the years and do not like using them. They seem heavy and poorly balanced for their size and I cannot get feedback from my lure/line. They just feel dead.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
These are about as basic as they get. Heavy composite rods. They get lighter as the graphite content increases. Mostly foam grips. If you want a moderate action rod they will get you there easily and maybe even beyond. Great for bank fishing the bottom. Especially if the rod holder comes out and you watch the rod pulled away. Usually in slow motion.

The others mentioned are high modulus graphite. They are fast and sensitive enough to sense the lightest bite. They are so much lighter. You will also see a nice component upgrade between them and cork handles on most.

I can say though there is a place for each. Moderate rods are hard to find in graphite rods outside fly rods. Most are fast and extra fast.

mike

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
I really like them. Have three for my bait casters and a couple "Boat Rod" size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just happened to have bought one (Lite) yesterday. It is a lot different than my basic level Shakespeare, which broke in my car. I'm too new to the sport to know how to evaluate it against other more sophisticated equipment. If you have a suggestion for a better rod, let me know the specifics.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I do not like the weight of the rod. Too heavy, it is truly no good for any smaller bass baits. It has no feel to it as someone else said, it feels dead.

This is my phone. There are many like it but this one is mine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have at least four Ugly Stik spinning rods in various types (regular, lite, and inshore). Others are right about their incredible durability, but lack of sensitivity. If you're not a money fisherman, these rods are fine and will last you many years. I remember as a kid I was screwing around on a pier in the Gulf of Mexico with a pin fish as bait and hooked a 30+ lb jack crevalle on a medium freshwater ugly stik. Amazingly, the rod didn't break and I got the fish close to the pier, where it wrapped itself around a piling and broke off :/ . I've caught many fish from 1/2 lb to 30+ lbs on my medium action rods and find them incredibly versatile and a great value for the money.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The new Elites are pretty good, just match the action to the right reel/ line weight. You will be surprised ar the difference between the new models and the traditional Uglies. I fished with the old ones for years, mainly because the old fiberglass and early graphite rods seemed to explode or snap at inopportune times, but the Stix never did. I traveled with them a lot, bending them in circles to fit them inside suitcases so I didn't have to airline check a rod case, having had some bad experiences in that regard. When the Gx2s and Elites became available I tried them out, replaced the old models, and they are my go-to rods for lake, river, and inshore fishing, mostly for bass, crappie, brim, speckled trout, and redfish, sizing the rod to the target. The odd bluefish, gar, striper, big cat, or black drum is not a problem if well-played. If there is a gear failure, it won't be the rod. Fish don't break gear; fishermen break gear.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
They are heavier and whippier than I like for my style of fishing. I do not own any. I know a lot are sold with the price being a big factor and they do hold up to a lot of abuse. I like the lighter rods and reels where I can cast all day without being worn out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ugly Stiks along with Berkeley Cherrywood rods and Lightnin' rods are 3 of the most recognized and enduring brands of rods in the country.Cherrywoods aren't as popular here but Ugly Stiks certainly are.All the previous comments highlight their weight and durability .Almost any rod will be lighter and more sensitive mainly because the tip of aN Ugly Stik is made of solid glass.The actual graphite component is so slight that it amounts to a few fibers mixed in with rest of the rod's hollow fibers.They were built for durability and sales.When they first came out and I was selling them,we demonsrtated them by loading a reel with very heavy line and lifting a cinder block with them.I only broke one doing that.Because of that fact there can be only 2 actions ,heavy and light(er).Casting distance and accuracy are always reduced because the tip has so much "bounce" and slow recovery when cast.Try casting a well made higher price rod with a fast tip and see how few times it vibrates and goes back and forth before it straightens up.Now try it with an Ugly and it looks like an antenna on a Police car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The older Ugly Stick Lites were pretty good value for the money. The didn't have much sensitivity, but got the job done and were durable. The newer Elites feel heavy and awkward. They should have kept making the Lites. I have an Inshore Select model that is a great rod for $50. An Inshore Select with a Penn Fierce is about as good as it gets for under $150.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts