NC Angler Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have 2 ugly stiks. One is a baitcast I use for jig and pigs. It works great, and certainly well-enough that I don't feel the least motivated to get a different rod for the jigs. I have caught a lot of nice bass on it. I don't know what model it is, but it seems to be built nicer than the lightning rod I use for spinnerbaits. I got it at gander mt a few years ago, I believe it was in the $60-70 price range there.

I have a spinning ugly stik I got in Alaska to replace a rod I broke up there. I took what I could get, and the action is slower (whippy) than I prefer and I have missed a lot of hooksets with it. This is obviously a mismatch between the action of the rod and what I've tried using it for, and not a dig on ugly stik.

If you need a rod that won't break the bank you can't go wrong with the ugly stiks, as long as you match its specs to what you are doing!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
When I look at the ugly sticks on the rod racks at BPS, no matter the style of them, the blanks are rarely straight. It looks like at least 90% of them have a crook or warp to them as compared to the other rods and if for no other reason, I don't buy them.

They are heavy and not sensitive. They are whippy. Best potential use I see is as a cranking rod, but because most are crooked, I have a hard time putting tournaments on the line with them.

If you do purchase one, at least take the time to find a straight one. I'm sure it will cast better than the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
They are heavier and whippier than I like for my style of fishing. I do not own any. I know a lot are sold with the price being a big factor and they do hold up to a lot of abuse. I like the lighter rods and reels where I can cast all day without being worn out.

I second that one Scotty

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
356 Posts
As it's been mentioned, I don't think there are too many better rods for live bait use than an Ugly Stick. I carry one with me for that purpose, but I usually use different rods for working lures.

We still have an original Ugly Stick ultralight rod I bought in 1989. I've passed it down to my son.

I've not tried the newer models of Ugly Stick, and I've got 2 rods in the garage with no reels on them now, so it's unlikely I'll be trying one of the newer ones unless I manage to break something.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I have a big older Ugly Stick spinning rod I use for surf fishing for drum and sharks.

Works just fine. Have had it for years. Can't vouch for the newer ones.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
We used the original ones for casting metal and jigs to albies/bonito/spanish and they were great for that. Easy to cast and nearly unbreakable. Wouldn't want one for any other application though. I have seen the newer versions break.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've got the ugly stick lite in both bait caster and spinning pair with lews reels and they work great for me. The only issue I have is the spinning rod it a 2 piece and it slips bad for me. As far as casting goes I have no problems with them. Compared to the older ugly sticks they are great. The old ones are just too heavy but I can fish the lites all day. To each their own though.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got the ugly stick lite in both bait caster and spinning pair with lews reels and they work great for me. The only issue I have is the spinning rod it a 2 piece and it slips bad for me. As far as casting goes I have no problems with them. Compared to the older ugly sticks they are great. The old ones are just too heavy but I can fish the lites all day. To each their own though.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
A drop of Superglue cured the ferrule slippage for me. It's now a one-piece rod!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I used my Elite all day today paired with a new reel I wanted go try out. I've used it sparingly before but wan't happy with the whippy feel and difficulty it caused me with casting accuracy. I have to say, once I adjusted my casting to accomodate for the fiberglass tip, I liked it more. But in all honesty, I've been using No8 Hellbents, and for about $20 more, they are SO much better rods than the Ugly Sticks. I'm actually quite fond of my Hellbent rods.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If any of you guys got a ugly stick king mackerel trolling rod that you're not using and want to trade for a surf Rod this is what I have.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
When it comes to fishing start with what your budget allows.If its a very small budget you may want to wait until you can increase that budget .Remember,you get what you pay for.If its cheap in price(compared to similar products)then it probably wont last.Ugly Stick has been around and has a good reputation plus its fairly priced.Graphite rods add more sensitivity along with braid,but its preference and budget.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The consensus seems to be that they have two main attributes: they are cheap and almost indestructible. I agree. I have three old ones I use as loaners to inexperienced anglers. They do catch fish, though, so I use them myself now and then. The main rods I use are either St. Croix or Cabela's blanks I made (spinning and bait casting). Does anyone know if St. Croix makes the blanks for Cabela's? They sure are similar. I do have several G. Loomis blanks I made that are pretty spiffy. One of my favorite spinning rods is a Cape Fear rod, if anybody remembers them.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I really like them. Have three for my bait casters and a couple "Boat Rod" size.
Mechanic Bob Ugly Stick pictured right side. He did land this huge Shark & a large AJ on a bucktail.

From my experience with US is they're to tip whippy, blanks are heavy.
These two factors will wear you out on a long fight. I'm not a big fan of them.
Did own a few when I first got into fishing. Spinning & boat rods. ( sold them all )
Quickly switched to Shimano Teramars / Trevala / Tiralejo once I understood what a good rod can do.

Hope this helps. ....ICM

View attachment 98089

21 - 36 of 36 Posts