NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on my boat , replacing fuel lines and wiring, filters and new steering etc etc....... I have not used the motor since February.

So I walk around the boat and notice picture 2.......oil leaking out of a hole in the back........??? Looks like lower unit oil but this hole is the same hight as the lower unit oil relief screw .......

Well I got the fuel system completely installed and pumped out all th old gas and put fresh 87 in.......and she started up on the first turn (yay) but she was smokey as **** , lots of white smoke !!!!!!! (50 HP 2 stroke merc). I figure that was normal for being dormant so long.

Anyways I then looked at 5 he lower unit and saw picture 1.

What in the world is going on ??

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Did you fog the engine in Feb? I don't think that is lower unit oil, does this motor have oil injection? The area on the lower unit is near the exhaust and because it came out when the engine started I belive it is 2 cycle oil.
Hope this helps!
Cheek

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, well the motor has a oil tank in the cowling, and it had plenty of oil, but the fuel hose has been disconnected for a few weeks now.

It wasnt abnormally hot yesterday, but it defintly started leaking out of that hole yesterday. Weird.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Looks like 2 stroke oil possibly running down from the crankcase drain, check your vro lines for leaks. And your holding tank if it has one on the motor. That's not lower unit oil.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like 2 stroke oil possibly running down from the crankcase drain, check your vro lines for leaks. And your holding tank if it has one on the motor. That's not lower unit oil.
So I am assuming by your reply that oil should not be coming from that hole?

Did I make a mistake by starting the motor? I let it run for about 2 minutes. It was putting out white smoke like a mofo but it didnt sound bad.....I assumed it was just smoking because it had not been started in almost 6 months.

There is plenty of oil in the tank.

Where would the VRO lines be coming from? Would they come from the fuel pump or from the oil tank?

Also, does the oil/gas mix go into the carbuerators or is the mix after?

Im freaking out now......

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
So I am assuming by your reply that oil should not be coming from that hole?

Did I make a mistake by starting the motor? I let it run for about 2 minutes. It was putting out white smoke like a mofo but it didnt sound bad.....I assumed it was just smoking because it had not been started in almost 6 months.

There is plenty of oil in the tank.

Where would the VRO lines be coming from? Would they come from the fuel pump or from the oil tank?

Also, does the oil/gas mix go into the carbuerators or is the mix after?

Im freaking out now......
Don't freak out. You would have an oil line coming from tank to the VRO/fuel pump. If the VRO is over-oiling, it can happen. But this means VRO would need a rebuild.
The mixing happens before carbs

White smoke can be from condensation but can also be from broken water jacket or cracked head. You were running it on the hose or did you have the foot in a big bucket of water?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't freak out. You would have an oil line coming from tank to the VRO/fuel pump. If the VRO is over-oiling, it can happen. But this means VRO would need a rebuild.
The mixing happens before carbs

White smoke can be from condensation but can also be from broken water jacket or cracked head. You were running it on the hose or did you have the foot in a big bucket of water?
Running it on the hose.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Running it on the hose.
How long did you run it on the hose? If you just ran it for a few seconds and it smoked white, it MIGHT have been condensation. If you let it run for a minute or so, it might be water is getting in cyl's. Did you turn the hose valve all the way open or just crack it a little?

As far as it being JUST oil...I would be looking for an oil leak BEFORE it got to the VRO. This could be the oil reservoir or any plumbing going to the VRO. After the VRO, you would smell some fuel.

Sorry you got this going on. I know how anxious I can get trying to get problems hammered out so I can go fishing!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Durwyn where are you located?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How long did you run it on the hose? If you just ran it for a few seconds and it smoked white, it MIGHT have been condensation. If you let it run for a minute or so, it might be water is getting in cyl's. Did you turn the hose valve all the way open or just crack it a little?

As far as it being JUST oil...I would be looking for an oil leak BEFORE it got to the VRO. This could be the oil reservoir or any plumbing going to the VRO. After the VRO, you would smell some fuel.

Sorry you got this going on. I know how anxious I can get trying to get problems hammered out so I can go fishing!
I only let it run a 1-2 minutes, but it was smoking immediately after it started.

Durwyn where are you located?

Beaufort/MHC area

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.