NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I get it done at around the Raleigh area? I removed and cleaned a Rochester quadrajet but the engine stalls at idle unless I advance the timing way too much. Think the carb needs a good ultrasonic cleaning, then I can reinstall it, zero it out and readjust idle and mix.

Thanks gents

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Quadrajets are finicky monsters anyway. Fuel rods can be the least bit worn or tweaked and you will never get it right. Idle circuits are small and hard to unclog too. If you blew it out good and soak it properly you probably should junk it and buy a Holley or a Carter. I gave up on those things back in my drag racing days..

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No doubt about that. I have never had a quadrajunk that's been easy to work with. To me, Holley has been the best. I have given the quad two soaks, blowings-through and 1 1/2 rebuild kits. Not sure about the fuel rods, although they looked fine, it might have been something I didn't notice. Idle circuit is extremely small and difficult to get to with a wire for cleaning not to mention getting to it with air nozzle (I've even got the really skinny "wand").

The only thing wrong with a new carb is the money for a marine carb. I'd love to get a Holley 4160 but....may try on this quad one more time. Looks like Ill take it off AGAIN and let it soak for a couple days. I will say it has gotten better every time I clean it :rolleyes:.

Problem is, this thing sat for 3 years with gas in it and although it was ethanol free and had treatment/stabilizer in it, you know it's still plenty gummed up. It's a new/reman 4.3 vortec so looking forward to getting it through break-in

Thanks 'Drop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use wire torch tip cleaners, and even some mig welding wire to clean the ports where I can reach too. This new carb cleaner you buy in the gallons isnt as good as the old stuff used to be, the old stuff burned your skin if you got your hands in it. I think I could take a sip of this new stuff and barely get bad breath..

Reactions: 204Angler

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use wire torch tip cleaners, and even some mig welding wire to clean the ports where I can reach too. This new carb cleaner you buy in the gallons isnt as good as the old stuff used to be, the old stuff burned your skin if you got your hands in it. I think I could take a sip of this new stuff and barely get bad breath..
That's the truth! I remember my dad had a parts cleaner tank. Every year when he took carburetors off the vehicles one at a time and cleaned them; he would pull this parts cleaner tank out of the shed and into the carport. I forget what he used to soak them with, but I know he wouldn't let me or my brother in the carport when he had the cleaner out.

The best cleaner I've found is called dragon something rather...I forget but it only comes in a aerosol spray can. Napa sells it. The best stuff I could find in a gallon can is Berryman's Chem Tool. It aint bad but sure wish there was something that was more potent.
I am not going to try to drink it though :)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Berryman's is as good as you will get over the counter these days. I've also done pretty well just using acetone and leaving them in it a few days. I've used lacquer thinner too.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You ever hear about boiling them in vinegar? Some guy, maybe about your age :) told me about that. That was the first I've heard about that. He said it'll clear everything up...

So, I let the parts soak for about 4 hours each yesterday. When I pulled the float bowl (main body of carb) I saw a bunch of "crud" in metering holes that I didn't get out before. I think this might be the ticket. I also removed the idle mix screws. When I get home toinght Ill go through them with some wire (carefully!) and then blast with some compressed air.

If that doesn't do it, then looks like a Holly will be next purchase unless I can find someone that can do an ultrasonic cleaning.

The CFM of this Q-Jet is 750CFM which seemed like alot to me, sitting on a 4.3 (vortec), until I read why they are all in the 650-750 range. Then, it made alot more sense to me why these things are so incredibly sensitive and tough to work with. So, if I had to go to a Carter or Holly, what CFM should I be looking for? 400-500? Never had to recarb a V6 before

I had one Mopar with this carb and decided never again. Then I realized why I always beat up on GM's :) most of them probably ran Q-Jets

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the carb assembled and reinstalled....runs smooth as silk now. I guess it just needed another good soaking. Glad I didn't have to find a shop to clean it or, worse, buy another carb!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
glad you got it right. That is alot of cfm BUT I will give Qjet credit on the design, when it is right it really feeds only what an engine needs and is less prone to run rich than a holley or carter by its design. But that also makes them finicky to work on.

Reactions: 204Angler
1 - 10 of 10 Posts