NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey Stewdog. Before I bought my own canoe, I would often rent one from the 'Big Lake' at Umstead. I would fish for 2 hours, it looks like that will cost you about $8 these days......

I would mainly fish with worm-and-bobber back then and I caught crap-loads of bream and yellow perch. I also remember seeing some monster carp swimming around in there. There's also plenty of spots to fish from the banks. I recommend it highly as a panfish destination, and is a great place to take a youngster for some guaranteed small fish catches.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've heard some good things about "the big lake" as well. It's an easy hike from the parking lot off Hwy 70.

Kelley and I took our boys over to Reedy Creek lake in February, I think it was. Turns out that the bank near the trail is way too steep to be comfortable fishing, especially with kids. You'll have to do some bushwacking to get to better banks. Next time we take the boys over there we'll do the extra driving to get to the Big Lake.

Lefty

Reactions: stewdog
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.