NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just purchased an old '72 25 hp johnson sea horse "anniversary edition" to replace my even older johnson that gave out on me. It's only 3 years younger than my old one, but has over 100lbs compression on each cylinder. I probably should have been a little more patient and waited on a newer model, but I want to get back on the water and it seems that finding a used motors in short shaft with a tiller is next to impossible.

I figure I can use this one to get back on the water while I keep my eyes open for a newer motor, hopefully one with electric start.
I'll be replacing the oil in the lower unit today and putting in a new kill switch. The guy I bought it from cranked it several times and it seemed to run fairly smooth, so hopefully there are no issues with that.

The only down side at present is that being the next two weekends are both "july 4th" weekends, I will likely avoid the lakes like the plague and therefore won't get to try it out til week after next.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds good! Give it a touch of "OUTBOARD APPROVED" fuel cleaner the next few tanks. Make sure it is for outboards not the car stuff. I use "Seafoam" since it is approved for all and I can buy it at Autozone. Might want to hit it with a fresh set of plugs if they look like they have burned their share of oily gas as well..
Enjoy getting back on thew water! I had a busted throttle cable myself and man it wasaJOBto replace since myold boat was someones "salty" toy before Ibought it. Snapped every screw in the control unit off and had to drill out and retap every hole. I beat, banged soaked everything for 2 days in PB Blaster and still snapped every one of em'...
Don't knock the old motors... they were built when people cared about quality!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sundrop,

Yeah, I had to drill out and re-tap one of the transom clamps last night. It had siezed up when the guy was taking it off the boat 5 years ago, so to get it off, he hacksawed the back end in two. Then he broke off the front end trying to get it out. I was afraid I might dog up the threads with the drill, but I got lucky and everything worked out fine. Luckily, it looks like everything on my old motor will fit the new, so at least I shouldn't have to buy any expensive parts. I think I'll take your advice on the Seafoam and I've already got an extra set of plugs to put in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.