NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a discussion with a friend a few days ago about the price of capes and feathers. Feathers at times can seem like a very expensive investment for a new hobby to a beginner and veteran tyer alike. So, I began to look for some info to help me understand the different types of feathers and their uses and came across this article. Understanding Feathers

Let's hear your tying tips on feathers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Tying with the wrong feathers, or with poor quality feathers can be especially frustrating for a beginner. This is especially important when tying dry flies. The better feathers may seem more expensive in the beginning, but you will be able to tie more flies easier with them.

Capes generally have a wider range of sizes on them but the feathers terd to be shorter. Saddles have a smaller range of sizes (usually 2 predominant ones) but are much longer. You might be able to tie a half dozen or so flies with one feather.

Regards,
Keith

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.