NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I look at the tide tables it shows numbers that represent the water height at the low and high tides. I cannot seem to be able grasp the real world meaning to these number. From what I gather these numbers represent the height of the water above or below the average height of the water. This is the average that someone has determined to be the "zero" number. Sometimes I'll go out and the high tide is extremely high and sometimes the high tide seems only a bit higher than a "high" "low tide. Can someone help me understand these numbers so I can target days that allow me to paddle out in water and not mud?
Thnks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
It is the difference between mean tide level. If you are bored and have a little spare time on your hands check out http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/publications/Understanding_Tides_by_Steacy_finalFINAL11_30.pdf and it will teach you all you could ever want to know about tides. The extremely high tides you are speaking of are occurring on or near the full or new moon. This is called a spring tide. The extremely low tide you are talking about are referred to as neap tides and occur around the quarter moons.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've indeed been bored looking at those sites. I have a bit of a learning disability. I've been diagnosed with dumbassism. Been with me my whole life.
I understand the need and spring tides are not going to occur every month but June is supposed to have a "king tide"
One specific I don't understand is that the higher numbers don't always seem to correlate with the actual water level where I fish in a Marsh Creek.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
On the chart below for Hatteras Inlet for the month of July shows the three days of the month you will have the highest and lowest tides once each day. Don't use the tide chart here because it is not a tide chart. Use google.

Also the high and low tides are just that high water and low water. What is more important to learn is the current (movement of water) and when it stops (slack water). Learn that and in a few years you will understand the twenty minute rule for catching the big girls around BIG structure. Especially in inlets and sod banks.

Sa
Low
1:59
AM
<0.2>
High
7:43
AM
Low
1:48
PM
<0.5>
High
8:17
PM
Su
Low
2:49
AM
<0.3>
High
8:38
AM
Low
2:43
PM
<0.5>
High
9:08
PM
M
Low
3:39
AM
<0.4>
High
9:32
AM
Low
3:39
PM
<0.5>
High
9:59
PM

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Another thing to consider in an area is wind speed and wind direction. In areas like the Neuse river our only tide is a wind driven tide but in your areas the main movement of water is lunar based. That does not however mean that wind won't play a role because it most certainly will.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks. I've indeed been bored looking at those sites. I have a bit of a learning disability. I've been diagnosed with dumbassism. Been with me my whole life.
I understand the need and spring tides are not going to occur every month but June is supposed to have a "king tide"
One specific I don't understand is that the higher numbers don't always seem to correlate with the actual water level where I fish in a Marsh Creek.

Make sure you take into consideration the offset in tide from where you are getting your info. For instance, I will often use the New River Inlet tide times chart to get my information for launching into local creeks but there is typically a two hour delay from what I see.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Wind Tides.....Super Kool.

·
Registered
860 Posts
It really clicked for me when I saw it in chart form like this. This is for Wrightsville Beach so I'm sure Marsh Creek would have a few hour delay as said above. You can navigate this sight to find a place closer to you. Hover over the day you want to see and it will tell you the time and height of each tide. Hope this helps.

http://www.protides.com/northcarolina/2995/

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting. I use an app called Tides Near Me. The high and low water are given as well as the tide times. In VA Creek the tide lags New Topsail Inlet by 3 hours so I've had this figured out for a long time. Also wind plays a big role in this shallow Creek and if it is blowing from the west it makes the water even skinnier than normal at low tide. Wind also plays a big role here in terms of the slack tide.
What I find very interesting is the levels for Wilmington beach are almost twice as high as they are for Topsail inlet? These two inlets are not that far apart so what gives? This is regarding the Web site in the previous post. In the tides Near Me app the heights are very close.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts