NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (April 5, 2005) — The N.C. General Assembly last year approved the creation of a saltwater fishing license, but legislators left the details to be worked out this spring. Among them are resident and nonresident fees, the time period of licenses and potential enforcement problems.

Richard Hamilton, executive director of the Wildlife Commission, is concerned that 100,000 lifetime license holders may have an understanding that their lifetime fishing licenses would cover all fishing — freshwater and saltwater — in North Carolina.

“The pledge was made in good faith, and we are committed to representing their interests,” Hamilton said. “The Commission favors grandfathering in the lifetime license program to include saltwater fishing privileges in North Carolina.”

Discussions continue between the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the N.C. Division of Marine Fisheries. Read more here .

You can also see the latest Senate Bill regarding the saltwater license from the N.C. General Assembly here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
SW in Unified Licenses & Boat Licences

My initial thought was no, as it reduces the revenue for SW fishing support programs we could probably use, but if there are only 100K of them out there then maybe it would be ok and not hurt much. I think future lifetime licenses should include a SW option with additional fee, or the ability to add it later as an endorsement. 5 & 10 year licenses may also be good and cut down on administrative processing costs. I would also like to see a private boat SW fishing license, like Maryland's. It would be fixed on the hull at the opposite end of the registration # from the registration sticker for enforcement agents, include the captain's personal license, and allow captains to introduce visitors & guests to fishing without having to worry about chasing about for short-term licenses for them. Suggested the boat license once to a WRC staffer and she seemed interested but don't think I have seen it addressed yet. It think Maryland's is $25-35/year now. Considering the cost of fuel and gear not much in the big picture. Other thoughts? RickZ

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I guess what made me mad was I was going to buy the lifetime fishing license last year but at the time the legislation said that people who bought one before 2005 would be grandfathered, so I didn't do it. Well the legislation hung out there for a while and when it finally passed it said that people who had a lifetime license before 2006 would get grandfathered in. In all honesty the people with the previous lifetime licenses get to beat the system (which is why I am mad because I could have beat the system) I know the money (which where it is going no one really knows) goes into 2 seperate pots but I think that the majority of people who do fish on a regular basis do both inland and coastal fishing in the year. Why not have a comprehensive license that would cover both for 30 bucks (for residents). 15 for each department and maybe offer a lifetime for 375 (for residents)that would be about the same ratio as the current licenses. I really think that I should be able to go in and buy one license to fish in the state. I know coastal ecology is different from the mountain stream ecology and the fact that people are making a living on the coast from the seas but I think it really should be all one department especially with all the hazy areas we have with the sounds and inlets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts