NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may be headed to Norman next week. Where is Beaver Dam Creek? Is the water purty yet or did this rain mess it up? We normally put in at Cowans Ford.
The water was still a little dirty. I will let you know when I get a look at my map, not at the house right now. Do you have an open spot in back?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Beaver Dam creek is the creek arm that goes to the left of Kiser Island, the peninsula that separates the main channel of Lake Norman and the areas that goes to the left. From Cowan's Ford, it's a pretty long run. Putting in at the Webb Road access outside of Denver will put you much closer.

There are baitfish everywhere in the creeks now...that's what has the bass a bit tougher to catch right now. There is so much for them to eat that they can ppick and choose.

If you put in near the state park, you can fish the coves that go into the state park and work the super fluke near the lay downs...the trees that are in the water. I have had some really nice largemouth up that way lately.

I also like McCrary and Hagar creeks...but a little easier to fish the McCrary area by kayak with the ramp being so close.

The water is still fairly clear and the bass can be caught on super flukes and jerk baits. Square bills in shad colors can also get a few but I have been catching most of mine on the super fluke

·
Registered
160 Posts
Be sure to bring something for white perch if you want something to eat or if bass slow down. Caught a dozen on 20 casts or so, all but 2 were 10 inch or more. Two were 12 inch, caught 2 nice crappie on same rig. No bass that day.... Caught 40 lb flathead after dark.
good luck

·
Registered
492 Posts
The water was still a little dirty. I will let you know when I get a look at my map, not at the house right now. Do you have an open spot in back?
10-4. Will let you know. My BIL just got a deal on a used Tracker last week and he's ordered some parts for it. We were looking at Norman if it was up and runnin.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: flathead. Cut bait. If I'm fishing at or near dark... I've been putting out couple jugs near to adjacent points to watch while I'm using a rod or two. I put out 4 on one point and 4 on opposite. Had 3 without bait and. Caught 2 blues and a flattie. It is uncommon, but I have caught 1 every spring and fall the past 2 years on jugs. 1 on crank bait last year..... Tastey surprise . The 40 lber took 20 minutes of chasing . Dove down with jug for more than 3 minutes.... "No flathead can take down three barrels!" I kept sayin to my partner. He almost pooped his pants when we pulled it up. We let her go so good luck, she's out there... 43 inches of her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.