NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you've been monitoring NCangler.com over the last week, you might have noticed some of the tweaks NCangler has been making to the menus and forum organization. One area of change was the Kayak Fishing forums. The "Kayak Fishing in NC" forum has become a category, and there's a new "General Kayak - Canoe" forum underneath (along with the old Fresh and Saltwater kayak fishing forums). We think this will be less confusing for creating and finding posts in the future. I've spent some time this morning moving posts between the Freshwater, Saltwater and General forums to try and get the best fit.

If you notice something out of place or missing please let me know. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One question I have for community discussion is whether people think Kayak fishing reports should stay here in the fresh and saltwater kayak fishing forums under the Kayak fishing category or go onto the main Reports category. They seem to be going in both places which makes finding them a little harder. I've been trying to use the main reports forum this summer thinking that reports are reports, and regardless of what kind of boat (or not) I'm fishing from, my information can be valuable to somebody else. Same for searching reports - its easier to go to one place to research reports than it is to bounce around from place to place. (note: I've probably got some in the kayak forums too).

Does anybody else have an opinion on this?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Since you asked...:)

I love this site, but in my opinion, there are just too many forums. Not just the kayak forums, but across the board. It takes quite a while just to click on all the forums I'm interested in to see if there are new posts. Is there a "posts since last visit" option on this site? That would solve the problem for me, but I can't seem to find it.

Now, the question at hand. Shouldn't one kayak forum be enough? Do we really need a freshwater and saltwater kayak forum, or a separate fishing report forum for kayaks?

Keep up the good work guys!

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
See the "New Posts" button in the navigation menu above. Click on that and it will show you each new post that has been made since you last visited. As you look at each post it will keep track and the next time you log on those posts won't be listed there. If you want to clear out the list to start fresh, go to Quick Links > Mark Forums Read.

We have created a number of forums to try to catalog information so it is easier to find over a long period of time based on specific interests.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input ecugman. I've just started using the New Posts link myself. Its kind of like treating the whole site as a single forum, which is great for the moderators. Not sure how it will scale for you.

Having lots of forums is a double edged sword. It really pays off for finding targeted information from a long period of time, but it does make day-to-day navigation and selective monitoring more cumbersome. (I started a thread on effective monitoring techniques that people are using to see what we can learn from each other here http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f88/ncangler-com-navigation-monitoring-5079.html#post33317)

As far as the 3 kayak forums go, I see them as follows:
  • Freshwater Kayak Fishing - freshwater fishing location questions and suggestions, lake river pond and stream kayak access & spots, freshwater specific tactics (ie crappie fishing from a kayak, lake stripers, etc...), finding other people who kayak fish a specific area
  • Saltwater Kayak Fishing - same as fresh, but with salty
  • General Kayak and Canoe - choosing a kayak/canoe, comparing brands, finding out who owns what and who's tried what, rigging ideas, storage, transport, accessories, nearby shops, etc...
If the reports were all moved from the fresh and saltwater kayak forums to the Fishing Reports forums, I'm not sure there'd be enough meat left for those two to remain in existence as separate forums.

·
Registered
191 Posts
See the "New Posts" button in the navigation menu above. Click on that and it will show you each new post that has been made since you last visited.
Thank you! That is what I was looking for...nevermind my last post.:p

How about just a kayaking forum (fresh and salt), and a kayak report board???

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I wonder about where to put a report every time I post one. When I want to read reports about where I am thinking about going, I look at general reports, not just kayak reports. Most places I fish at the coast, boaters go too (Coast Inshore) so I definitely want their input. I guess if you are looking for input, I would say have only one place for reports and ask kayakers to mention kayak in the post title.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good job Guy's:):)

Every time I think you guy's can't get any better you do.:) This is by far the best web site that I belong to. The most user friendly one that is for sure. Keep up the good work and thanks for all you do.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The biggest quandary I face when posting a post-trip report is matching up the post-trip with the pre-trip posts. If I've advertised a given trip in the Connections forum, it seems appropriate to "close the loop" for those following that thread. I guess the appropriate thing to do is to put the post-trip report in the Reports category and put a link to that thread in the pre-trip thread...

Hm... Is it possible to create a "macro" or a button or something -- create a Report and put a link to that Report in the pre-trip thread at the same time?

Reactions: Jeffonc
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.