NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am visiting my mom in New Bern and her first cousin on E.I. and am looking forward to taking my 17 y.o. son to Bogue Inlet Pier.

My question is what are some of the preferences regarding lines in terms of material and pound test. Back when I was fishing the Avalon Pier in KDH in the 70's everything was mono.

Please any suggestions for plugging/spinning reels and king rig reels (Jigmaster and TLD 15)?

Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I plug with 15-20 lb braid with a 20-30lb mono leader. I bottom fish 2 hook or Carolina rigs with the same setups for spot, mullet etc. For soaking bigger chunk or live baits on the bottom or float rigs I use 50-65lb braid with Carolina rigs or Lupton rigs with 100lb mono leader. King rods need a lot of line, and 20lb is common as your "hang on and tire him out" spool then topped with something heavier to get more control closer to the pier. Opinions on that vary a lot. I am spooling a 4/0 penn with 20lb braid and topping it with 50lb braid for more control closer to the pier and abrasion resistance then 50lb mono topshot is my plan. But I'm new to Kinging and that plan may change.

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
232 Posts
Find out the rules on braid on kind rods on the pier you plan on fishing. Some are very against braid. I go with 10lb braid on my gotcha plug rod. I go with 15lb braid or 20lb mono bottom fishing depending on which rod I grab. For my king set up I have 2, a 4/0 with 50lb braid on the bottom, 40lb mono on top of that, then 100 lb braid to horse and control around the pilings if need be. My other one I have 450yrds of 40lb hollow with 100lb braid on top again for the control around the pier. Caught kings on both reels and never felt outmatched even on my small one.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
The only issue I have heard from piers using braid is on your anchor lines on pin rigs. Braid on the fighting rod has become common.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
69 Posts
Everyone has had great advice. Also you might want to pick up some gulp white shrimp and some jig heads for flounder.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Jerk jiggers were made out of metal, and were not Gotchas. I had both. Caught my 1st spanish on a jerk jigger, but switched to Gotchas later. The Gotchas were lighter, and easier to cast to me. I think they made more than one size in the Jerk Jigger. I probably had the heavier one.

Thanks for the responses. I hope others will chime in too. Didn't we call "gothchas" "jerk jiggers" years ago or am I misremembering?
See you soon!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
When talking "surf" please be specific in how you plan to fish. Are you chunking lures or using natural baits on bottom rigs etc. Makes a big difference in what you use and how you set it up. Also what weights are you wanting to throw in lures and rigs?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I plan to do both, big surf casting 10' I'm gonna get in the water for the first time with bluefish rigs or other bottom setups, and then do some plugs & spoons from the beach or pier as well. I usually use squid or mullet but have no luck. I need to switch it up.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
One rod is going to be a compromise to try to do it all. Also keep in mind you have to have a saltwater license now in NC if you are fishing from the beach rather than a pier. Piers have a "blanket license".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Good info, I've got BBG #30 for my shock line on my 7', Penn Fierce 8000 says it'll take 20-30, so I'll prolly go 25# something, 50#+ for the shock leader. I'm interested to see what other line is recommended too...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.