NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

I just posted an ad for my less-than-1-year-old Minn Kota Riptide SP 55lb 48" shaft with Co-pilot. I under bought for my boat (trying to stay w/ a 12 volt system) and am going to upgrade. Take a look and let me know if you are interested.

I am about to upgrade, but cringe at the $1479 price tag on the Minn Kota Riptide 80lb 60" shaft I pilot that I am going to buy. I know they've got a rebate on them right now ($80) and West Marine has a $50 off promotion running right now. Anyone have a better recommendation?

I MIGHT consider a Motor Guide Xi5, but think I've settled on the MK.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The boat is a 1987 18.5 Maverick Master Angler. The 55 is fine when lake fishing but in a strong current it struggles to make headway.

Anyone have any suggestions to get the MK at a lower price? I know MK is tight on it's retail pricing, but I know individual sellers often have promotions (like West Marine's $50 off for purchases of $300).

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: BigE818

·
Registered
150 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
If you have a Gander Mtn, Bass Pro, etc near you, check out their credit cards. You can sign up for their cc and then charge the TM and they will give a discount for using the card. Pay the card off and cancel the card. I bought a Lowrance 111 unit that Gander Mtn had as a display unit when the new version came out. Talked the manger into selling to me at a discount and then signed up for the cc and got an additional 10% off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
GreenMonster, there is another Minn Kota ASC and dealer in the area also. Used to be in another recently departed business, but now at "East 70 Pawn" . The repairman has an excellent rating with Minn Kota, 9 years experience, and able to get Factory Refurbished motors, New motors, and Does a lot of rebuilding used motors on their own. There are a lot of anglers that have used the service! Kind of surprised it wasn't mentioned. Phone: 252-633-1129 from 9 to 6.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am buying a trolling motor to put on a skiff and did not know the difference between Minn Kota's SP and SK series. I sent a question to MK and this was the answer. I asked about 70lbs. thrust and 80 lbs. thrust which I did not think significant until I read the answer. I am getting the SE 80 54" ipilot. ipilot is great. I have one on a bay boat.

info about Minn Kota SP vs ST :

The ST motor stows the same basic way as the SP, by grabbing the shaft of the motor, depressing a lever, and tilting the motor into the boat. However, it utilizes a fall away ramp system that actually makes it easier than the SP. The motor diameter of the ST80 is larger, making it more durable and better able to displace heat. The 10 lbs. of thrust difference adds 500 lbs. of weight that it can handle.
Regards,

Dave H
It looks like Walmart has a good price on the :

·
Registered
12 Posts
EdRed, There are other pros on the ST than the SP. The ST is designed to accept any upgrade, bell and whistle option that Minn Kota conjers up. It is more so of a plug and play upgrade system when it comes to options. The SP can take some of the options, but takes a little work and sometimes it causes a loss of other options when upgrading. I don't mind explaining the difference before you spend the money on the difference. Call the shop and we will talk. Several things to think about. 252-633-1129.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Clawhand - thanks for the tip, I'll make a call. With the right warranty, I don't mind refurbished. I'm confused by your last post though, are you the owner of the shop or affiliated with it?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.