NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I took the kayaks out to the upper end of Falls Lake for an evening and night of fishing. The fishing was very slow and everyone we talked to wasn't catching anything. Well my partner caught this 9.13 pound bass on a worm. It was his biggest fish ever. After the obligatory pics the fish was promptly returned to the water.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Nice job. Do you mean beaver dam or actually part of falls lake.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
That area is like the Bermuda triangle. Very treacherous. Only go slowly between cheek road and railroad tressel north of 85 the. Channels are not marked and unfortunately for boaters . when the clearing for the lake was done . the banks could not be cleaned as good as the rest . so the stumps are taller . ie more dangerous . and wi a winding channel even the best chartplotter does not keep you close enough . i have grown up on that strech and alough the fishing is magnificant the waters are unforgiving if you do not show it the respect it deserves .

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree 100% with Froggy. I've fished that section of Falls since the dam was put it. And I can tell you from experience that it will bite you real bad if you are not careful. There are some extremely large stumps right on the edge of the channel so if you're running in 20 feet of water one second, you're on a stump the next!! When the lake level goes to 250 or below I normally don't run my engine except to load. Was up there last Saturday and there were 2 boats pulling skiers between Cheek Road and I-85. Real bad idea !!!!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Nice job......

were you throwing a castnet at 730 ish last night just above the bridgeand sitting near the same place this am in your yak. at 730am???? ....you don't see many powerboats at all inthat stretch.

again nice job mack

·
Registered
441 Posts
Man I suppose I'm pretty lucky! I went earlier this summer put I. At eno and ride down past the 85 bridge , mostly wide open. Saw some big stumps and wondered about the area, the water was up though which probably saved me! I noticed the water was only 5_
-6 in most places didn't realize it was such a good bass fishery...next time I will be more cautious and fish for the right fish!

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Pizza man lucky doesn't begin to describe. I have busted 8 props 2 lower units 1 transom and a hole in an aluminum boat . in my life time and knowing the river and the lake . bass fishing profiles more like pond fishing in that area shallower . the deep water of the main lake is difficult for a lot of people and that area has max depth of roughly 20' in the deepest river sections and 4/5 feet everywhere else

·
Registered
68 Posts
You need to be careful after you pass the point that's west of the Ledge Rock landing. There is some real shallow water on the right side (when you're going North) between the point and Cheek Rd. North of Cheek Rd. you really need to know where the channel is.When I fish that area and the water level is 250 or lower, I don't start my motor except to load. There are a lot of big stumps just under the water!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.