NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flyfished the Upper Neuse just below Falls Dam. Spent the better part of this beautiful day wading around watching fish dart around by my feet. I managed to catch a handful of sunfish and a baby largemouth bass. I caught all fish on a black panfish popper.

I was more intrigued by the monsterous gar that I saw swimming in the shallows. I casted some files in their general direction, but they were uninterested. Has anybody caught a gar on a fly rod? Or a spinning rod for that matter? I bet it is a thrill.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I'm afraid the last 2 times I've been on the Pamlico river here all I could do is fight Gar. They are really bad here for some reason and love live minnows. Their are special rigs for catching them by tangling their jaged teeth in frayed nylon rope and I hear they are great to eat but hard to clean. I occasionally manage to tangle ones snout in a line or pierce it with a very sharp hook but I would just as soon they disappear!! Nothing bites when they are so abundant I guess because all other fish fear them. They get huge! Not unusual to see them over 3 ft long.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
i have seen some over 6 feet long in the yadkin river.. i caught one about 4 feet long on a crankbait.. that was like fighting a pike lots of gator rolls..

zooker

·
Registered
90 Posts
Me and some buddies used to gar fish a lot in the tailrace below Falls Dam. The rig we came up with worked pretty well for catching them even though their mouths are so bony.
Start by tying on a 6" wire leader. On the bottom snap attach a treble hook and the swivel for a second 6" wire leader. Finish the whole rig off with a second treble hook. Guess it's kinda like a King rig. Put the rig under a big float and bait it with a sunfish w/ the first treble behind his head and the second in front of his tail.
When the gar takes it, open your bail and let him run until he stops. Gar are like pike-they grab it and run, then stop, turn the bait and swallow. As soon as he stops, reel in slack until you feel his weight, then start trying to hammer the trebles home. The harder you set the better-it gets the trebles swinging around and will snag him somewhere.
Good luck! Try the eddy on the east side of the spillway-holds alot of 'em in the summer when the water is low.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
thanks for the post Redmenace... welcome aboard as I see it is your first!!

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Much appreciated for the rig. Say hello in the meet and greet so that folks can really say hello to ya.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Flyfished the Upper Neuse just below Falls Dam. Spent the better part of this beautiful day wading around watching fish dart around by my feet. I managed to catch a handful of sunfish and a baby largemouth bass. I caught all fish on a black panfish popper.

I was more intrigued by the monsterous gar that I saw swimming in the shallows. I casted some files in their general direction, but they were uninterested. Has anybody caught a gar on a fly rod? Or a spinning rod for that matter? I bet it is a thrill.
Yeah last Monday I was out in the Neuse river not far from the canoeing starting point fishing with my spining rod catching a couple bass (stripped and largemouth) a couple of sunfish then.... I casted past where a fish had rose to the surface. And holy crap!!!! I hooked into something big and it took off down river. I managed to reel it back after a minute or two and I was shocked. I didn't know what I caught but all I could see was its mount, open with teeth!! It wasen't trying to bite me but I still was shocked to see teeth. The mouth had to be 7" long. I was wading out there in shorts no waighters that day and all of a sudden I wish I had them on. lol!! I got the fish so tired that it just was swimming idle next to me in the water but I didn't want to pick it up. I didn't really know what it was. So I started to walk to the shore to land it there and deal with getting my lure out of its teeth filled mouth. I was almost to the shore and it wiggled just enough to get unhooked. I actually was glad because I didn't know what I was going to do.

So I looked it up online, it was a spotted gar!! A three foot spotted gar. I did't know those were in the Neuse river at certaintly not by the dam. So yeah you could say I caught one!!!! Holy crap it was fun too!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I got into a big school of them on the Neuse here in New Bern a while back by the upper railroad tressle. I was using spinning gear with a rattle trap trying to get stripers. Well there were a few stripers underneath getting the scraps, I caught a couple, but I ended up catching about 12 gar, some of the most fun I've had in a while.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Oh yea we get them on fly rod ! I have got them up to 40 inches ,my son has got one in the boat on the fly the measured 50 inches. Piermans son has one 56 inches and pics to prove it! We try to see what is the average length of the gar in the river and size the streamer to match them. 3 ft gar would love a 3 inch streamer. A buck tail, wool head , bend backs. 4 foot and bigger like streamers 4 inches, but thats as big as I will go for them. Here are some sample flies to give you some idea. The rabbit zonker is for Bowfin. Have fun ...we call the big Gar RED NECK TARPON!!! What a fight!!!You do need an 8 wt fly rod.

heres some flies I use ...The rabbit zonker is for Bowfin. Have fun with those Red Neck Tarpon

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
i hooked into a couple on a fly before. i definitely can relate to "what do i do now?" luckily i had a pair of long nose pliers to help.

i didn't go out to try for them, but the one on the neuse just below the milburne dam was foraging by the bank so i thought, "what the heck", and threw a beadhead nymph in front of him. the second one was just below edward mills dam on crabtree creek, where i had a little bluegill on a fly first then the gar attacked him. when he worked the fish down, the fly hooked between the teeth.

they do put up a good fight. these two jumped up and out to their full length a couple of times.

neuse

crabtree creek

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
nice pic badankles...........my gar rig i think i got off of a gar site......anywat take 30-50 lb spiderwire.....tie on a small hook sbout the size you would use on a bass minnow.......leave the tag end long...on this end tie a small treble hook.....hook the bass minnow through the eyes or nose......then hook the treble hook in the tail......put 1 1/2 ft below bobber....let gar run with it for 1 minute.....set hook hard..........usually 50 percent hook up which is good on gar.......i tried to catch the stae record for several years but came up just short twice.....then it went up a few more pounds....mack

Reactions: badankles

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If yall like big gar,come on.From randelman on down .It is a every day thing to see them 5 to 6 ft.Ask tubby1 Hogdog or my self.last year I had the biggest one I ever seen break my 8wt fly pole.Striped me all the way to about the end of my backing!!!!!!I could never turn it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.