NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Loaded up the yak for a spur of the moment afternoon trip today. Put in down the road from my house and made the paddle to a grouping of some good creek mouths.

Started by throwing topwater...for whatever reason I'm getting lots of blow ups lately but fish are short striking it, even when I slow it down, speed it up, longer pauses, etc...Will keep dialing that in, but they're weary or maybe they've seen what I'm throwin :rolleyes:

Threw a variety of baits today, and finally hooked up with a few and kept an upper slot red, 25 inches and beefy. If I'm gonna keep one I prefer them around that size if possible, lots of meat on one fish, and perfect for blackened on the grill. :D

Love the red drum pull but just about time to turn the focus on flounder and trout. Hope this fall's flounder bite is similar to the last, regardless of what the current numbers say. Good drop-offs next to shallow flats are hard to beat IMHO. Drum were caught a little deeper today, 4-6 feet, tide was at the tail end of rising to full high. Water was really clear today.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Have you ever tried throwing a soft plastic, jerk bait or something immediately after a short strike? I read somewhere on here about keeping another rod ready to fire out after a short strike and the hook up ratio was really high. I think it may have been related to bass fishing, but perhaps it'll work for reds too. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I'll have it ready to go the next time I throw topwater at them. Mind if I ask what you ended up getting them on? I still have yet to hook up with a red on anything other than topwater:eek:. I know, boo hoo, but it actually is starting to concern me.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you ever tried throwing a soft plastic, jerk bait or something immediately after a short strike? I read somewhere on here about keeping another rod ready to fire out after a short strike and the hook up ratio was really high. I think it may have been related to bass fishing, but perhaps it'll work for reds too. Haven't tried it myself yet, but I'll have it ready to go the next time I throw topwater at them. Mind if I ask what you ended up getting them on? I still have yet to hook up with a red on anything other than topwater:eek:. I know, boo hoo, but it actually is starting to concern me.
Sometimes I do follow up with a jig but I get most of my drum strikes on reaction type baits, I caught that one on a 5-inch mirrolure soft bodied bait, like a jerk shad, gold fleck on a jig head. If you want to catch one on a jig, try hopping it across the bottom or give it a good upward jerk rather than a steady retrieve, sometimes that'll get em to strike it as a reaction

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the bait I've been throwing lately. It's big, but it produces lately. But like others on here have said, it's all about what you're confident in using.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Zac that area you fish does hold a few Trout. Fish the rips before you enter.
This is from last year...... ICM

View attachment 73793
What kind of trailer is that if you don't mind me asking? Something that came on the bait or did you add it? I've had some success with similar trailers on topwater baits for bass, but need to add some to my saltwater tackle.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of trailer is that if you don't mind me asking? Something that came on the bait or did you add it? I've had some success with similar trailers on topwater baits for bass, but need to add some to my saltwater tackle.
Don't know if you're referring to my lure pic or not, but that's a 5-inch mirrolure jig that I added to an 1/8th oz jig head. Falls slow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.