NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a break from studying Saturday night to wet a line. It's my second year at NCSU, but first that I've brought any tackle down with me, so I've been hoping to try a few different spots. I tried Bond Park and Lake Raleigh a couple weeks ago, but both seem pretty rough from the bank. It seemed like the water level was way up at Bond Park as the water's edge extended well into the trees, making it tough to get a good cast off without wading. I'm not sure whether this is typical or not.

Anyway, Friday and Saturday I was really getting the itch so I started weighing my options. Last year I had run by a nearby lake several times and saw the bottom absolutely crawling with cats on a clear day, so I decided to head over at night.

Bagged up a few hotdogs from the dining hall, made some lighter rigs (the setup I brought is a ML combo I use for bass) and went on over. I was hoping to get a friend his first fish while getting myself, my girlfriend and another friend some fish too.

The bait wasn't in the water for a minute before it was getting hits. Brought in a small cat ~10 inches long and reset. I was on the phone with a friend directing him on where to find us when the rod doubled over. My friend Matt (dude in the red shirt) had never caught a fish before, so I had to give him a crash course while I was on the phone. I helped him bring it in, and saw a good sized fish, but the line snapped as I was trying to bring it over the railing.

I was able to get my other friend, Joe, and my girlfriend on some fish too before all was said and done. I was able to break my own personal best for cats 3 times before the night was over, though that isn't saying much with me only catching them one other time.

I'm bad at judging weights (I really need to invest in a cheap scale), but I'd say the biggest fish was over 5lbs. I played it for a while and it pulled some drag before we finally got it close. My friend Matt was beaming when he saw the size of the thing and after it gave us a few tail splashes, and I knew I had a new convert. I worked it over to one of the few dirt banks without concrete or a railing to make sure I landed it easily.

Weeds absolutely choked the lake, so that was the one downside. I think in a month or so when the temps drop and they start to die off the fishing should be great.

All in all we wound up with about 10 fish. 4 or 5 were real dinks, 3 or 4 were in the 2-3 lb range, and we had the big one I assume was over 5. Lost a couple good one too. We had bites on basically every cast. I thought they were all channels, but looking back at the pictures the smaller ones lacked the fork in the tail so I guess they were some sort of bullhead.

I was sure to collect a good bit of trash.

Matt had a solid cat for his first fish ever. He sounded like he'll be looking at a combo of his own pretty shortly. I couldn't help but laugh when he tried to pay me for the couple rigs I lost. I explained that losing 2 was a good day, and that the stuff just accumulates over time.

I really enjoy catfishing and want to get into it more in the future. I really want to get into a good sized flathead or blue. I'll probably try the Yadkin more the next time I'm home.

I have a rough week ahead (couple tough exams, assignments, and my dog I've had over 15 years being put down), so I'm looking forward to probably going back to the spot next weekend.

Tight lines and thanks for reading!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely man! I'm really new to fishing for them, so I was just glad to get some that pulled a little. Are you living here on campus?

I wonder if we have any classes together since we're in similar programs.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Glad to see you worked it out! and made some new fisherfolk!

Reactions: cmckearney

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I commute from JoCo. I'm in Statics, gc120, and fortran on campus
Fortran? In 2014?

I learned that back when I was in college.

On punch cards.

The scary part is, I'm serious both about the punch cards and the suprise that it's still in use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.