NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a great story from Mike Jackson (Live Line charters) who placed 3rd in the US Open this week-end:

We fished the US Open tournament Friday and Sat. Winds were hard out of the NE both days and Sat had a lot of rain and thunder storms to make it more interesting. Saturday we tried anchoring by our selves by the river channel and played hero or zero. We came up with zero on Friday not even a strike. Saturday we caught bait 1st then checked out to beat the storm headed into Southport. We went to the river channel and before I had all the lines in the water we had our 1st strike. (what a difference a day makes). We caught the the fish in the middle of a driving rain storm and winds. A very long and skinny 22 lb fish. Put the lines out again and before I had the downriggers out the medium line went off. The fish did not take much line but ran under another boat anchoring to start chumming. The fish came up pretty quick so we thought it was small. Once I looked over the side in the cloudy water I saw how long it was and immediately reached down with the gaff deep and stuck him (I hate to reach straight down with the gaff in cloudy water). We weighed her in when the scales opened at 11:00 AM and took 2nd place for a while 35.55 lbs. We fell to 3rd later in the day by .05 of a lb. We finished 3rd out of 345 boats in one of the biggest tournaments in the area. A fun day for all.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Nothing like hanging in and being persistant when everybody is finding excuses. You knew what it would take to win and you hung in there with a good plan even when the chips were down. You put yourself in the position to win and stuck it out and for that you have a right to be proud even if the fish was the smallest instead of #3. But when you see a good plan workout that well, that is a memory and a feeling that transcends proud and happy. I am proud and happy for you and I know the feeling must be great. If I had a bottle of champagne I would toast you from here . WAY TO GO!!!! I wish I had noticed your report earlier. I don't know how I missed it. Now you don't have to worry about no stinkin gas prices! lol AL

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Wow, somehow I forgot the very beginning and got it wrong. I was all excited for you. That is about the most humorous thing that has happed to me in a few days. :eek: :eek: Still a big accomplishment which he won't forget. - About that far from 2nd . Wow! AL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.