NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the Feb issue of the NC Sportsman Magazine. I had to buy it when I saw the cover. It boasted a new state record for striper and had teasers for specks. (I think the tackle monkey has got a cousin) Anyway, the article mentioned using a length and girth measurement to estimate the weight of the fish. I seem to remember forgetting about this, so I did a little research online. I figured I would share what I found and I can usually depend on the crowd 'round here to set me straight if I'm way out there.

For striper or drum (or other fish with similar body shape) use:
((Length x Length) x Girth) / 1200
So for a plump drum 22" long and 15" around = 6.1 lbs

For more slender fish like specks use:
((Girth x Girth) x Length / 800
So for a plump Trout 22" long and 15" around = 6.2 lbs

I figured the first formula was close enough for my uses, so I made an excel spreadsheet and laminated it. I plan to toss it in the tackle box and try it out on the next few fish I catch.

Send me a PM if you want a copy of the spreadsheet and I'll send it to you.

I couldn't find a formula for flounder, but I would be interested. I imagine it would be something to do with lenght, thickness and distance between the eyes!:D

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you gotta use the basic shape of the fish to determine which formula. In the different websites I found, the first formula was used for largemouth bass and marlin. I found several websites that used multiple formulas for different species, like http://www.hotspotfishing.com/learn/fishweight.asp, but these 2 formulas seem to cover anything I've ever caught or at least the thing that I catch on a regular basis now.

Anyway, I think the first fomula would work for most large-gut fish. I plan to test it this year, for fun. I'll keep you posted, but I gotta get back on the water first!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.