NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, and thank you for your help in previous threads:

I will be at Avon/Hatteras for three days in late October.

I am pretty proficient at casting a 6 foot net on the surf.

I am curious if the mullet, or any baitfish are catchable this time of year.

Also, are the sandfleas gone?

Again, Thanks!

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Sand fleas are always around even in winter. In the winter they just go deeper in the sand and sometimes a little deeper in the wash zone.
But those easily found by their snorkels sticking up out of the sand.....you can find those into late October early November if the weather stays decent.
But as far as migrating south for the winter? Nope.

You can find and fish with sand fleas year round.
In the cold months, it would be prudent to switch from rake to shovel unless you have a heavy rake that will dig deep.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I think part of what happens when a beach is renourished is that the beach may take a coupla years to reseed.
When fleas hatch they live a few months as plankton type creatures. Going with the tides and currents until deposited on a beach.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
End of the summer through the fall. The mullet run was well into swing on the southern beaches the first week in August this year.
I wouldn't leave the net at home.

If you can't net any, most of your good tackle shops may have some fresh mullet or mullet sides.
I like the corn cob mullet (6" or so) this time of year for drum. Fish them whole or fillet the sides off of them. If drum are there, it's hard for them to pass that up.

There are always mullet around. They just may not be in the big schools we see migrating down the beaches and easily accessible.

Also for the big drum I like mullet sides. Take a big mullet and fillet it out and cut long triangular wedges out of the fillet to mimic the shape of a fish somewhat. You can not intimidate a big drum with too big a bait. If they'll snap up whole blue crabs, they'll hit a bigger chunk of mullet than you can effectively cast. Other fish that will bite a drum rig...sharks rays, and tarpon. You fish for tarpon about the same way you do drum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.