NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get out to Uwharrie or Tillery this weekend or next to chase some smb and lmb. Can anyone point me in the right direction toward some good bank or kayak access? I could do either, but would prefer to bank or wade the river as I need to put in and take out at the same spot. I've been there a time or two, but not really sure where the best access is for fishing. Any info would be appreciated. I'd also be open to meeting up if anyone plans to go out there.

Thanks

Eric

·
Registered
704 Posts
I, like many others, am reluctant to share wholesale info about specifics on a public forum. I will, however give some general advice that would be helpful to not only you, but others who want to get into kayak fishing, but have little experience. (If indeed that describes you).

1. Doing a more general web search about public access to various waters is a good place to start.

2. Establish yourself as a contributor on this site, and see if you don't find some willingness on the part of some great fishermen to take you along on a float or two after you have established your "residence" on the site. This does not imply exclusivity, or a "good ole boys" fraternity. It's just that most good fishermen cherish the resources, and their reluctance to "spill their guts" on a public forum is quite warranted. You will, however, find that this community is literally full of helpful folks, many of whom are happy to take a sincere young learner along. Most of these are far better fishermen than I.

3. On most Piedmont rivers, the current is not so strong that you can't paddle upstream and float back to your put in site in many areas. Sometimes, you'll have to wade as well as paddle, and you might encounter some difficult work in so doing. That's just part of the experience.

4. Especially after (2.) above has revealed itself to be true, don't hesitate to let folks know exactly when and in what geographical area you are available to float. You might find someone who will "shuttle share" and fish with you.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may need to clarify my post; I'm not looking for anyone to share extensive tribal knowledge or reveal their hot spots publicly. I'm very experienced in some areas of NC, but not that familiar with this one and was hoping to get a general location to point my truck toward and explore. I was thinking that this was the forum to connect with other anglers who could potentially be interested in meeting up in certain areas. I'm definitely looking for every opportunity to contribute and help others, but just joined this week. If there are any details outlining the forums expectations on length of tenure or quantity of posts before you can request information or meet ups, or start a thread; please let me know as I'd be glad to review. Will continue to chip in wherever I can. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Tillery has really good crappie and catfish up from marrow below the dam. If you feel like your paddling through a maze of rocks your in the right spot. You should've able to catch channel cats until your heart is content.

The Uwharrie is tricky this time of year and will hurt your feelings until you figure it out. It's also a very unique and special ecosystem in my own back yard. This time of year it's a tough float as water is scarce. I tend to stay 109 bridge and below to Tillery. Be kind to the river please.

U.S. River guys are a strange bunch. Same genus as Speckled Trout fisherman out east. Loose lips sink ships and what have you. When you can shoot me a PM. I'm in Holly Springs once a week usually. We ca get lunch or something.

Gene - RED >X< - Asheboro

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Mc Masterson come on and post ask things ,if you need help ask.That is what we are here for!!!!!Fishermen and huntters true out doors men. We talk and help people to enjoy the out doors.Rather they are Fishing boating or wading or bank fishing. Don"t let no one tell you differant. It does not matter when you joyned .I know there are people on this site that do agree whith what i say!! If it was"nt like this there would be no need for theses forms:) I fish deep river hear in randolph county its a very good river to fish.you can yak wade it or bank fish it. Ever come my way let me know. ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I joined in 2012 but was not active because of work until about a year ago. In that time I have contributed, meet some great people and went on some great outings with many of these people. Over time I have found some locals interested in meetups in the area.

All I can say is contribute, post to the meetup area if you are looking for a partner and with a little time you too will have developed a rapport with the forum.

mikeski

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I have been on hear for a good while,I do not know this word contributed! No one has ever ask me to.If I needed info.even when I first started.Jeffonc ,ncpierman,BigAl ,Bout Time,Raymondwells I can fill this up with names.They never ask ,. They all was help ful.Sooner or later ncp we will get to gether and fish.Meet outhers is a good thing.There are a lot of good people on hear.I have met some of them.So this word contribut I do not belive it should be used on hear.We post on fishing ,we welcome new ones,we help people on fishing tips as well where to put in at.And outhers help us.We ask for nouthing in return,but if lucky a new friend!!!!!!:):cool:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Maybe contribute is the wrong word. It has more to do with participation.

The big deal is there are hundreds of visitors or lurkers just looking for info and are not into participating. So you will not see answers to questions about exactly where to go. You may get pointers on where to look for info. Like item 1 in the first response to this post. And this forum is full of info on questions already asked. So searching the forum is a great place to look.

mike

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have been on hear for a good while,I do not know this word contributed! No one has ever ask me to.:):cool:
Yet you contribute anyway! :D And that also gets noticed over time, Grandpaa. I think Mike chose a better word in "participation," but I think what Jim meant was just to not be too let down if good specific info doesn't just roll right in immediately, especially with regards to river fishing, and to continue to give the forum and its members a "chance" so to speak. Over time, rapport and relationships emerge, even with people one has never met, and that can sometimes begin to open up opportunities or perhaps people's willingness to share what is otherwise closely guarded information. For example, I have seen forum members post about going to a lake that I frequent and have learned things about... I might see them post about what they have tried that didn't work or whatever, and as it's clear they are trying to 'do their homework,' I have felt more inclined to share specifics with them privately that I might not have put in a regular forum post. Others have generously done the same for me at times, and I don't know if they would have gone as far as they did if there hadn't been some degree of established rapport.

Many of our members ARE extremely helpful and generous, as you and I and a lot of other people have experienced, but I think Jim was pointing out that there is also some "get back what you put in" phenomenon to the community as well, just like any relationships in life.

Ed, I get what you're saying, and there are really no "rules" about asking for meet-ups, etc. This is a very appropriate place for that; you may do well to get a few more posts to enable full membership if you have not already, which allows you to send (and more importantly receive) Private Messages or PM's. Sometimes information that someone doesn't want to put out to 50,000 public eyes they might be willing to send privately. ;)

Also keep in mind that the Angler Connection section is actually relatively new, and might not get quite as much traffic as one of the other sections, such as the "Freshwater Fishing" section or even the "Meet and Greet" section.

Welcome to NCAngler and good luck!

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I share lots of specific information with anglers, usually via PM. I see both sides of this discussion though. The smaller rivers such as the Uwharrie are very fragile. That river was stocked with smallies back in the 70's and then not stocked any more. The fish did reproduce but are not very numerous. It's the kind of place that could be ruined permanently with too much pressure. Fortunately there is no real good bank access so it's not very accommodating to wade fishing. And float options are very limited too. I hope our new member doesn't get the wrong impression of us...we tend to be quite accommodating. Right now there are 154 members and over 400 'guests' on this site. Those folks want to get the real benefit of the site they need to become members, maybe do a little fishing and meet and greet with other members to establish themselves. First thing I did back in 09 was go meet the rest of the Red X Anglers on Bogue Inlet Pier. There were about a dozen of us then. Best thing I ever did.

·
Registered
239 Posts
well said grandpa
I have been on hear for a good while,I do not know this word contributed! No one has ever ask me to.If I needed info.even when I first started.Jeffonc ,ncpierman,BigAl ,Bout Time,Raymondwells I can fill this up with names.They never ask ,. They all was help ful.Sooner or later ncp we will get to gether and fish.Meet outhers is a good thing.There are a lot of good people on hear.I have met some of them.So this word contribut I do not belive it should be used on hear.We post on fishing ,we welcome new ones,we help people on fishing tips as well where to put in at.And outhers help us.We ask for nouthing in return,but if lucky a new friend!!!!!!:):cool:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for all the input guys. I agree completely and plan to participate as much as work and fishing allow! :D I definitely agree and understand the need to protect and maintain productive fishing waters as well. I guess I now have PM access as Jim and I exchanged a few today in a positive conversation. Look forward to further discussions with everyone and maybe meeting up sometime. Will check out Red X also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did not see any actually replies to your question, but we usually put in at Morrow Mnt State Park. It is a short paddle across Lake Tillery to the mouth of the Uwharrie. As others have said the river tends to be low in summer. Plan on getting out and dragging the boat.
For a truly gem of a little lake that is best explored and fished by paddle go up to Narrows
(Falls) Only two places to put in either from the Uwharrie National Forrest on the Montgomery Co side or Town of Badin on the Stanly Co side. We live in the area and only fish by kayak. feel free to PM me.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
as i have said and told people only the best of the best on this sight
Absolutely agree, Grandpaa! Some excellent people here.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Great group for sure! as to the question at hand it I have only a general knowledge of the area. But anytime there is a qustion about access for an area the NCWRC website has a Where To Fish section and a map of all of the NCWRC sites and partnered sites for the entire state. Fishing, kayak/canoe, bank, handicapped etc. If you ever want to fish out this way send me a PM and i will help with what I know.

Darrell

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.