NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
My name is Jerry Condrey and I just signed up today.I am an avid bass fisherman and don't really care if they are largemouth or smallies.I fish in the Shamrock bass club,and love to fish the rivers for smallmouth probably more than anything.I love the largemouth bass,don't get me wrong,but no fish alive can pound for pound match the acrobatic,hard pulling smallie in a fight.Recently,a trip to the New produced 56 of these battlers,some up to 3 pounds,a couple pushing 4.We went to the Uwharrie and caught 18 yesterday,3 of which were over 2 pounds.I also like to fish the Fisher and Mitchell rivers for smallmouth.My favorite lakes for largemouth are Badin and Tuckertown.I love plastics,and catch most of my smallies on a Yamomoto cut tail worm fished on a split shot rig.I have found this bait works better than any others I have tried.If anyone goes to the Uwharrie,please release your fish,as this is a fragile system there because the smallies aren't native there,but they have done well since they were stocked in the seventies.But for any who haven't fished it,it is a great river although smal,and the wading can be rough.A canoe float would be better.The fish are plentiful,and you will also catch the occasional largemouth and roanoke bass,which is a large sunfish closely related to the rock bass,found in the mountains.I have caught several smallmouth over 3 pounds,and a couple around 4.So the Uwharrie is a great place to go catch smallies,and enjoy the beauty and quiet of one of our states best smallmouth fisheries,here in the center of the state..........

JERRY

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I carry some great memories of the Uwharrie park -- my Scout troop used to go backpacking there. Wasn't into fishing then... but we used to camp right alongside a stream.. if I ever go back there, I'll make sure to take some tackle along...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
hey jerry welcome to the site...

i know of the shamrock club..living 7 miles from tuckertown lake. we probly have met..

never really fished the uwharrie river for smallies..but prefure lake james for my smallie fix..what size cut tail you all using?? i have had real good luck with smallies using a baby paca craw on a standup shakey head..

zooker

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey jerry welcome to the site...

i know of the shamrock club..living 7 miles from tuckertown lake. we probly have met..

never really fished the uwharrie river for smallies..but prefure lake james for my smallie fix..what size cut tail you all using?? i have had real good luck with smallies using a baby paca craw on a standup shakey head..

zooker
hey zooker
many is the morning i've spent on good old tuckertown chunking a buzzbait near the grass,as husky largemouths blasted them into oblivion. i love tuckertown,probably my fave of all the yadkin lakes.as to the cut tail worm,its a 4 incher.i stumbled on it by accident.we were going up to the new river and my friends said they were hitting pumpkin zoom finesse worms better than anything.so i went to get some and no one had them.i saw the cut tails and thought,well maybe this will work.i took 2 bags of the camo color up there and caught 31 of the 63 we caught that day on them.by the way ,4 of us went.everyone had a few bags with them next trip.man,you need to go down to the uwharrie,being as you are so close,you won't be sorry.by the way,i live in trinity,so we are neighbors..............

see ya on the water
jerry
ps if you wanna go down there after some smallies give me a call 336 689 4466 and maybe we can go,i'm always ready to catch smallmouth.................

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Welcome to the party! Looks like your already making friends. Just a warning... If you go fishing with Zooker don't eat his snacks until you check the expiration dates..... LOL!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Welcome aboard Jerry!

That is intersting to know there are Smallmouth that large in the Uwharrie.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah,its evidently a well kept secret about the size of the smallies in the uwharrie.i saw an on line article saying a 2 pounder was trophy size there.bull................i have caught at least 3 four pounders in the last 2 years and i know of at least 4 others caught by others,not to mention those in the 1 to 3 pound class,which are really not that uncommon.tomorrow we leave for buffalo, ny for my wife's class reunion.while i am there i am going fishing for smallmouth and walleyes on lake erie with her sister's husband.he's really not a bad fisherman,for a yankee,that is.i have seen pictures of 2 six pounders he caught last october,so i can't wait to see what those northern fish think of the cut tail worm.also the weather is supposed to be in the upper seventies,and that will be a relief,i'm sure you will agree after what we've seen here lately. i will let you know when i return about my trip on the big water...

jerry

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Wow, sounds like a great trip! Take your camera!

·
Registered
871 Posts
Have fun up north Jerry! I am sure that will be a blast and much needed relief from the heat.

My wife is from Long Island and we will be going to her reunion next year.

Mark

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey Jerry Welcome aboard!
I too love fishing the uwharrie river. I prefer the kayak but wade the fishy spots as well. We'll have to hook up and go sometime.

Aquaflow
The nine scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
yeah,its evidently a well kept secret about the size of the smallies in the uwharrie.i saw an on line article saying a 2 pounder was trophy size there.bull................i have caught at least 3 four pounders in the last 2 years and i know of at least 4 others caught by others,not to mention those in the 1 to 3 pound class,which are really not that uncommon.tomorrow we leave for buffalo, ny for my wife's class reunion.while i am there i am going fishing for smallmouth and walleyes on lake erie with her sister's husband.he's really not a bad fisherman,for a yankee,that is.i have seen pictures of 2 six pounders he caught last october,so i can't wait to see what those northern fish think of the cut tail worm.also the weather is supposed to be in the upper seventies,and that will be a relief,i'm sure you will agree after what we've seen here lately. i will let you know when i return about my trip on the big water...

jerry
not going to say i learn how to catch offshore smallies in the buffalo harbor...but i did..a LONG time ago..

zooker

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well folks,just rolled in from buffalo.the weather was nice but the fishing was off.it got windy and 3 foot swells made the fishing tough.we did catch 3 decent smallies but nothing over 2 lbs.we tried for walleyes,but all we caught on that venture were fish they call a sheephead.looks like a croaker to me.and they don't eat 'em.i also caught a 7 lb northern pike on a cut tail worm as we were coming in.we marked a bunch of fish over some weeds in 10 feet of water and that pike smashrd the worm as it was falling.not big as northerns go,but i got a kick out of it ,never having caught one. i have caught pickeral,and a 4 lb musky,a baby,in the new river,but the northern is a beautiful fish.we did have a blast at reunion,and i am planning to go back in october to try my luck on salmon............

later on folks,
jerry condrey

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Jerry Welcome aboard!
I too love fishing the uwharrie river. I prefer the kayak but wade the fishy spots as well. We'll have to hook up and go sometime.

Aquaflow
The nine scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government, and I'm here to help!!!!!!!!:D
ok man,im in.call me at 336 689 4466.we'll hook up and go..............
jerry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Jerry, I to just signed on to this NC angler page, saw your posting on Uwharrie Smallies. I live on Badin but spent most of the spring fishing wading the Uwharrie for Smallies. Like you said nothing beats there fight. I have caught a couple dozen 2 + pounders, lost some much bigger (yes the big ones get away from me)...sigh Just this year I hooked and landed one that went around 2 lbs (16 or 17 in fish) and a monster, way over 20" followed it in trying to steal the plug from him! I to never ever keep anything from the river like you said it's way to fragle to do so. I hated to see a picture this spring at the Eldorado Outpost of a 5lb'er someone had caught and kept....really hated to see that.
Anyway would be great to fish it with you sometime.... drop me an email sometime at [email protected] . Think they would bite this time of year?
Tracy D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Welcome to the party! Paleoman!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.