NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we're heading back to the Carolinas again. We'll be hitting Hilton Head in a couple weeks, but we're going to be booking a trip to the North Carolina Coast very soon (next couple days) for a week in the summer (July/August). We'll be staying at a condo somewhere. I'm looking for a good location that might have good surf and pier fishing options.

I'll need a beach area that is kid friendly (kids can play in sand & shells & my wife can enjoy the sun) & maybe some local attractions (not into carnival atmosphere). I've been to Topsail for a day and that was nice, but I wouldn't mind going somewhere else. We've requested Wrightsville Beach (how is the surf fishing here?) because it is close to Wilmington and I've heard it's nice, but our 2nd option is up the coast...maybe Outer Banks.

Any suggestions on a good area?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The OBX area around Buxton (cape hatteras lighthouse) is very much non-carnival. Pretty much all fishing there. Well, fishing and kite-surfing. You'll find surf-fishing out the wazoo, a couple of piers (Frisco, and I think there's one in Avon or Rodanthe?) and the catwalk off the Bonner Bridge. North of the Bonner Bridge (Manteo, Kitty Hawk, etc) gets more high-impact -- not so much carnival, but definitely commercialized toward tourists.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've only been that far down the island once... was looking for a place to wade-fish the sound side. I've heard nice things about the village there... supposed to be a nice, quiet kind of place.

You'll be about 5 miles west of the lighthouse - the most famous surf-fishing spot is The Point, smack at the point (duh) beneath the lighthouse. You'll need 4WD to get out there, though, it's too far to hike, unless you really like walking on sand. There's a pier in Frisco, which is about halfway between the village and the lighthouse, so that's good for you. And if the wind and currents favor fishing the south-facing beaches, you're all set on that account as well (but I still recommend at least visiting The Point).

Be prepared, though... once you get onto NC 12 in Manteo, you're not "almost there" by your kids' standards... Especially if it's dark or if you're tired, NC 12 can be a long drive.... The good part, though, is that you can't get lost. :D

Reactions: Elrod

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. We visited CAPE COD last year and I expect a similar experience in terms of drive time...very slow going...thanks for the warning & tips. Based on the pics, I think this place is in the village & may not be walking distance to the beach...but I'm not sure how many places in the area are. I don't mind driving a few miles to fish...it just may be a bit tougher sell for the rest of the family. We'll have to see. ;-)

·
Registered
422 Posts
And the cool thing about the North Carolina Coast and what I like the best is that what you are looking for. I think there are hundreds of locations and I am working on getting to every one of them that have good surf fishing, nice beaches and with 20 piers it is not too far to drive to find one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Scott, Roadkilla, and lefty!
It sounds awesome! I'm really looking forward to it. I believe we'll be booking it tomorrow. My wife said she'd be happy just being away from home and hanging at the pool and beach, but I'm looking forward to getting some good fishing in both the surf and at the pier(s)...and checking out the sites. I have a five year old that may even enjoy the pier.

Hopefully we'll be able to borrow a 4WD from the in-laws for the trip and drive out to the cape. If not, maybe I'll be able to hitch a ride out through the sand. ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You can get to the lighthouse without 4wd, and from there you can look down on the point... which is a sight worth seeing, by the way... You can also either drive or walk to the original site, where the lighthouse used to be. From the original location, it's walking distance over the dune to the water. Most of the times I've been there, there have been surfers there too... don't know if there's any particular convention for sharing the water there...

There are lots of places where you can walk out to fish, without a 4wd, on both sides of the island, so there's no shortage of opportunity... It's just that The Point is one of those unique places... there's no other place on the planet where those two ocean currents converge...

·
Registered
16 Posts
You guys may also want to try Surfside Beach, SC pier sometime.
They don't drink alcohol and serious fishing in April with the Macks coming in. Check out Surfside Getaway website for accomodations it is 1 mile to the pier...

Awesome for the family, and the pool is steps away. I can get you a discount for accomodations.

let me know,

Tailchasr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Speck. I think that's a definite possibility for a future trip. We were looking at Wilmington (Wrightsville Beach) this time, but didn't have any availability. As the kids get older, they'll probably like the Myrtle Beach atmosphere....we're a little more geared toward the low-key, no carnival atmosphere though. Oak Island looks like a good spot to drive into Myrtle and Wilmington withouth have to be in the middle of it...

We actually booked our trip. We'll be staying in Hatteras for a week beginning July 9th. Of my 4 trips (crazy year) I'm really looking forward to it! Any more family friendly must-sees or besides the lighthouse feel free to pass'em on....

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Make sure you all catch a quiet sunrise on the water. That's enough for me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.