NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there was anyone out there that would be willing to take a Minnesota fishing fanatic out fishing while I'm here on vacation. I'll be here until Aug. 22nd in Wilimington. Or do you have any tips on fishing from shore or crabbing from shore.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Man I would take you offshore in a heart beat if my wife wasnt about to download. We got a newborn on the way... either way, he'll be here on the 12 of next month if she doesnt go into labor before then.. Her due date is Sept 11 (not a good date in our nations history to share a b-day with).

I just need to be close to home. I've shut down the rest of the year for the offshore stuff until Dec at the end of deer season.

But.... I can put ya on Jordan or Shearon Harris lake if you decide to want to fresh water fish. (I'm only up the road from the lakes by 20-30 minutes)

Wrightsville area for Blue crabs... easy... across from the boat ramp at the 74 bridge you'll see some oyster and grassy spots and a dock to the right, just toss a trap up by the grass. We use dead fish or grouper heads for crab bait, but the ol' standby of chicken parts will work too (or even squid packed in panty hose feet and tied off). Walmart in Wrightsville sells tubs of shrimp/squid/finger mullets/ and other baits... so bait isnt a problem. You an also net bait if you have a cast net. Just watch for bait around pilings and sea walls. My favorite pinfish hole is the sea wall at Money point, we've pulled blue crab's outta there as well. I'll post some pix tonight of some of our traps.....

In the early evening, inside the inlet, the crabs will come up to shallow water. You can spot them with a flash light and try to net them that way too... but man you gotta be quick!! ha haha... makes for alot of fun.

Anywhere in the ICW there, you should be able to find blue crabs, drop some bait and wait... check the bait every hour or so. We usually just throw out traps before leavin out the inlet in the mornin and we pull them when we come back in....

Lot's of work to clean and eat, but man,, aint nothin like eatin blue crab! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.