NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone made their own vehicle surf rod holders or have any plans/ideas for homemade vehicle rod holders?
I have a 2000 model Jeep Cherokee Sport that I plan on using this year for surf fishing and I am having a hard time coming to grips with laying out the approximately $200 cost of a front mount aluminum 6 rod holder.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I made one out of a plastic milk crate. I took PVC pipe, cut the lengths to about 24 inches and then mounted them to the crate with u-bolts. 3 on one side, three on the opposite side. Then I made a plate for the bottom and through bolted the crate and plate to one of those removable hitch bars. Then I would just slide it onto the hitch reciever, use small bungees to secure each rod to the holder ansd off I went. Sorry I don't have pictures - I gave it away when I sold my four wheel drive jeep years ago. I don't think I had 50 bucks in the whole deal and it worked fine. Of course I already had the hitch receiver on the jeep - other wise it would have cost a lot more.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If you put the PVC inside the crate instead of outside, you can hold them in place with cable ties instead of ubolts.... if you're interested... I use that approach for two vertical rod-holders (or stuff-holders, I sometimes put my net and gripper there) in my kayak.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips!

The milk crate thing is a good suggestion. I have been thinking about putting a front receiver on my jeep.

Mark

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I wouldn't trust the inside method with full blown surf rods. You can use TA's method but if you want a front mount rod rack you can use a treated 2x10, PVC pipe and U bolts plus 4 mounting bolts if you are lucky enough to have a steel bumper. Otherwise a reciever hitch mounted up front and Use TA's method or just go with your imagination and what you have or what fits your budget. Hard to beat those cherokees of that era for an allround surf wagon. I don't think they are as handy except for long distance travelling, but roof racks can be cheaply turned into rod racks also.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I wouldn't trust the inside method with full blown surf rods.
As long as your butt's not too big, what's the downside with putting the PVC inside the box?

You're probably right tho -- a good stout surf rod will put a lot of leverage on the rod-holder, especially if you're bouncing around the sand. Probably wouldn't want to trust a narrow piece of plastic...

Maybe that's why I don't use a 13' surf rod from my 12' kayak.... :D It'd tip me over! :eek:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I agree -- my first thought was the ol' U-Bolt-to-2x12 bumper approach... Although it looks awful funny on my Saturn!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You can buy ty-wraps that are plenty strong; but surf rod butts are usually 24" and longer to the reel seat and with a good pothole on pavement you would stand a good chance of one bouncing out unless the tubes were sticking up well above the top of the crate. with a 2x10 or 2x12 you let the rod holder extend down about 4"-6" below the board and let the pvc extend up above hood height and cut a notch in the pvc on the front side so that the reel stem (or stand) will rest in the notch away from your vehicle. Paint to suit or leave bare.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw someone post on another board that you can purchase the rod holder tops that are used in factory made aluminum holders with the notch in them. They make the homemade PVC holders look alot nicer.
Does anyone know where they can be purchased?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
4,810 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks like it works well lefty. Are you using 2" PVC?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Actually that's 1.25". They're inserted inside the flushmount rod holders on the yak, so I was driven by their inside diameter and the OD of the pipe... For PVC that narrow, the flared end really helps. And it's better for the smaller rods than the surf rods.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey! I got my rod holder made and it is fantastic. I will try to post a picture soon. It came out really nice and looks great on my Jeep. I got to try it out a couple of weeks ago when I was surf fishing.
I used a piece of 2 x 8 treated lumber to mount the PVC on. I mounted 6 holders with conduit wall mount brackets. The 2 middle pieces I cut and notched at 24", then 2 at 22" and the out side two at 20". I painted the whole thing flat black and mounted it to my bumper with stainless steel 3/8" bolts.

Mark

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are right about that sinker man. I was really amazed!

Thanks!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have more time than money and I love to make something lowbuck that works well and looks good !! Great tip on the whole bottle flaring thing!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The whole thing cost me around $30 bucks by the time I purchased the treated lumber, PVC, mounting brackets and other misc. hardeware.
I would say a sight better bargin than the $150-$200 that a factory holder would cost.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.