NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOREHEAD CITY – Three Craven County commercial fishermen were recently sentenced to probation and to pay fines and other penalties associated with the possession of 66 crab pots stolen from 20 commercial fishermen in western Albemarle Sound areas last year.

Albert Lynn Campen, 51, of Havelock; Christopher Tracy Barnes, 24, of New Bern; and Thomas James Baker, 22, of Havelock were each found guilty May 29 in Washington County District Court of misdemeanor possession of stolen property stemming from a Nov. 13 discovery of stolen crab pots.

Marine Patrol Officer Brian Long said he received a report from a commercial fisherman that some of his crab pots had been stolen and he had seen some in a stack of pots sitting on a dock in the Mackeys community of Washington County. Officers went to look at the stack of pots and noticed other stolen pots in the pile, Long said. Shortly afterward, the officers pulled the three men while they were moving the pots with a truck and trailer on the highway, Long said.

While searching the vehicle, officers also found marijuana and drug paraphernalia, Long said. More stolen crab pots were found at a mobile home in Plymouth where the three men had been staying, Long said.

The crab pots had been stolen from about 20 commercial crabbers in Chowan, Bertie, Perquimans, Washington, Beaufort, Hyde, Tyrrell and Hertford counties.

Campen, who was also convicted of possessing undersized crabs, was sentenced to 24 months supervised probation. He was ordered to complete 100 hours of community service and pay fines, court costs, restitution and other penalties totaling $1,690.

In addition, Judge Samuel G. Grimes barred Campen from participating in commercial fishing operations on water or on land for one year.

Barnes, who was also convicted of possession of drug paraphernalia, was sentenced to 12 months supervised probation and ordered to complete 50 hours of community service and pay fines and other costs totaling $825.

Baker was sentenced to 12 months supervised probation and ordered to complete 50 hours of community service and pay fines and other costs totaling $820.

The judge ordered that the crab pots be returned to their owners.

For more information, contact Marine Patrol Capt. Johnny Barnes at 1-800-405-7774.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Not severe enough penalty... But on a lighter note, if they hadnt been using drugs maybe they would have had enough sense to repaint the bouys/markings on the pots...LOL

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
skooteri: good point.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Not severe enough penalty...
I agree sundrop! They should have been made to walk the plank while at least 20 miles off............just for mess'n with another man's means!
My daddy always told me not to mess with another man's means or his woman. I have lived by that out of respect for my fellow man.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.