NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have learned something today finally. Spending hours staked in one spot, even with seeing lots of drum slurping shrimp and hammering bait, isn't helping me get my top water numbers up. Everyone likes action and maybe it's time I start moving around if nothing is hitting on top. After almost three hours in one spot with only a single blow up and one flounder I finally moved. I hit a few different areas mostly next to or very near the grass islands. I spent about 10 minutes in several other spots. I stumbled upon some willing 12" drum and landed a few, moved again and again and again. On my way in, after SIX hours, I hit some more grass islands as I was passing them. Each Island got maybe 10-12 casts then a move. Fairly close to what would have been my last resort I got the biggest one so far this year. It was 27" +- nothing and it was a blast. Certainly not a trip I'm proud of but the fish is a beauty and hopefully the lesson will result in more spaced closer together?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Gotta keep on movin! Good top of the slot there man ....... I'd call that a good day for sure (I mowed grass and got chigger bites today).

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Good job your getting there :)

Reactions: challenger

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gotta keep on movin! Good top of the slot there man ....... I'd call that a good day for sure (I mowed grass and got chigger bites today).
Chiggers.......... Yikes. I read this and was thrown back to a charger episode that I can't relive.
I'm sure you know that the whole nail polish, Chiggers embedded under the skin and many other Chigger "advice" is false. They just bite and their "venom" dissolves the skin a little and makes the skin itch in a manner that can make the strongest man cry for MOMMIE. I use a roll on product called "after bite". Smells like ammonia.
I gotta say I feel for you. I'd rather be in pain than be itching from Chigger. Two weeks of poor sleep and irritability. That's my reaction anyway. Hopefully you aren't as affected.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Chiggers.......... Yikes. I read this and was thrown back to a charger episode that I can't relive.
I'm sure you know that the whole nail polish, Chiggers embedded under the skin and many other Chigger "advice" is false. They just bite and their "venom" dissolves the skin a little and makes the skin itch in a manner that can make the strongest man cry for MOMMIE. I use a roll on product called "after bite". Smells like ammonia.
I gotta say I feel for you. I'd rather be in pain than be itching from Chigger. Two weeks of poor sleep and irritability. That's my reaction anyway. Hopefully you aren't as affected.

Gotta learn to live with them around here man ... Best defense is a thorough shower immediately after mowin .. even if it ain't Saturday! At least I've managed to keep 'em below the hello. Behind the knee is better'n on the bottom of the .......

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
At least u get to go every day...I'd kill for that.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gotta learn to live with them around here man ... Best defense is a thorough shower immediately after mowin .. even if it ain't Saturday! At least I've managed to keep 'em below the hello. Behind the knee is better'n on the bottom of the .......
That's great advice I had forgotten to mention. If one is exposed to chiggers it takes them at least an hour to inject the itch juice. Just a soap shower will wash them off.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
When they don't take the topwater do you switch up to a jerk shad or paddle tail? A bait and switch is a good thing so have another rod and plastic ready when the topwater is off. One that has worked for me is a Salt Water Assassin 3" paddle tail in the sea shad color with chartruese tail. Reds and trout go for them.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When they don't take the topwater do you switch up to a jerk shad or paddle tail? A bait and switch is a good thing so have another rod and plastic ready when the topwater is off. One that has worked for me is a Salt Water Asasian 3" paddle tail in the sea shad color with chartruese tail. Reds and trout go for them.
Well this is how backward my fishing is. I'm throwing top water. Mind you I'm catching nothing other than a 15" flounder a popping cork/storm shrimp. Seeing drum slam shrimp and hearing the unmistakable swirls and sucking sounds all over and I'm empty on top water drum. My arm has castitis yet I still have more confidence with top water than I do with other artificials. I did try a spoon an mr17 and a couple of other soft plastic jigs but no takers. My confidence in these others is abysmal which is weird because these baits seem to catch better according to others. In thing I doubt that I'll do is use a popping cork exclusively. I'll keep one out with something plastic or even live but working a popping cork is super boring to me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
27" drum is certainly reason to call it a successful trip. I have to constantly remind myself that most of the people posting on this forum have been fishing these waters for years and have put in many hours to produce some of the results we see. I have been at it all summer and just this weekend I was able to put two reds in the boat. One fat 23" and another 22". Fishing from a kayak can get you into some skinny water, but it also limits the amount of ground you can cover. I finally convinced my wife to let me get a boat mainly for that reason. I love fishing from a kayak, but I put way more time in paddling than I did fishing.

Both my fish this weekend came on soft plastics. One with a spinner blade attached. I have been trying the topwater, but I can't seem to build any confidence with the Mirro products. I have caught 30" plus reds on a simple chartreuse Gulp curly tail mullet bait on a plain lead jig head. I prefer a cheap Redfish Magic alternative - buy the spinners at wally world and separate jig heads and combine with DOA/BassAssassin/ZMan soft plastics.....and Pro Cure of course. The red I caught today hit a white zman pogy and took it as soon as the lure hit the water. The other red I caught earlier hit a paddle tail combined with the spinner in Chicken on a Chain. (Another personal favorite)

·
Registered
170 Posts
What!? Shower on a day other than Saturday? They'd have to be pretty bad for me to do that.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I may have learned something today finally. Spending hours staked in one spot, even with seeing lots of drum slurping shrimp and hammering bait, isn't helping me get my top water numbers up. Everyone likes action and maybe it's time I start moving around if nothing is hitting on top. After almost three hours in one spot with only a single blow up and one flounder I finally moved. I hit a few different areas mostly next to or very near the grass islands. I spent about 10 minutes in several other spots. I stumbled upon some willing 12" drum and landed a few, moved again and again and again. On my way in, after SIX hours, I hit some more grass islands as I was passing them. Each Island got maybe 10-12 casts then a move. Fairly close to what would have been my last resort I got the biggest one so far this year. It was 27" +- nothing and it was a blast. Certainly not a trip I'm proud of but the fish is a beauty and hopefully the lesson will result in more spaced closer together?

Nice fish and persistence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts