NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RALEIGH, N.C. (Dec. 3) – The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission announced today that the fees to register a vessel in North Carolina will increase from $10 to $15 for one-year registrations and from $25 to $40 for three-year registrations.

The fee increases, which go into effect Jan. 1, will apply to new and transfer registrations, as well as renewals on existing registrations.

The cost of vessel titles will remain at $20.

The money generated by the fee increase will be used to develop new public boat access areas as well as preserve existing access.

“The rapid rate of change along North Carolina’s shorelines has created a situation that requires immediate action and adaptation,” said Gordon Myers, a deputy director with the Commission. “Our goal is to maximize public value by directing these new funds towards projects that leverage multi-agency partnerships and multi-use facilities.”

For more information, contact the Commission at (919) 707-0398.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
As long as they don't change the rules for human powered vessels (like kayaks), and I don't buy a real boat, I've got nothing to complain about:).

I honestly couldn't complain too much if they'd make me buy some kind of registration for the kayaks. I use the ramps and the parking lots and appreciate more and better of each. The challenges are with keeping consistent definitions (like we've already seen with kayakingglenn's Hobie Adventure that straddles the line between sailing vessel and human powered vessel), getting a sticker that can adhere to a plastic kayak and a license number that can be identified above the water level. Interesting problem, probably best left untouched...

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have no problem making my contribution to the support of the infrastructure that facilitates my hobby and pastime. The cynic in me however seems to think that phrases like;
“Our goal is to maximize public value by directing these new funds towards projects that leverage multi-agency partnerships and multi-use facilities.”
is nothing more than govenment speak for "we're going to spend more on administration than for the physical project".

Also, a 1 year and 3 year registration cost hike of 50% and 60% respectively, is quite an increase. I could only wish that my income would modulate at a rate to sustain the cost of living in this country which IMO is comprised mostly of fees and taxes.

My $0.02/soapbox.

Mike C.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I dont mind paying if it is used for what it is intended. But, I do think any vessel on the water should pay something. $5 for kayak/canoe isnt going to break anyone and with the vast and growing amount of Kayakers it would generate good revenue, and I think more kayak launches on tributaries would be good for the sport. I do think motorized boating should bear the greater expense always....

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I'm all for seeing more access and more parking at our ramps. Also, I'm all in favor of seeing more people fishing and enjoying the outdoors as they choose. However quite simply, if your going to use the access areas(I.E. parking) you should contribute to their upkeep and improvement.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
nothing more than govenment speak for "we're going to spend more on administration than for the physical project"....

Also, a 1 year and 3 year registration cost hike of 50% and 60% respectively, is quite an increase. I could only wish that my income would modulate at a rate to sustain the cost of living in this country...
Can't disagree with those points either. I'm consoled by thinking that none of the state folks are getting rich off the fee increase and by knowing that prices for land, concrete, pavement, contractors, etc... never go down. May be a bit of a head-in-the-sand position, but it helps keep the blood pressure down.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The cynic in me however seems to think that phrases like <"Our goal is to maximize public value by directing these new funds towards projects that leverage multi-agency partnerships and multi-use facilities"> is nothing more than govenment speak for "we're going to spend more on administration than for the physical project".

Mike C.
I have to disagree with you on this one. While I'm sure plenty is spent on administration, the above statement reflects the state government's new approach to partnering with the federal, county and city governments to build waterfront facilities.

One example is that new bridge designs over navigable water include a boat launch ramp whenever possible. Another example is Soundside Park in Surf City where the city and state partnered together to build a first class facility that neither could have built alone. A third example is the dredging of Banks channel and Topsail inlet to keep it accessible to recreational boaters which was paid for with federal, state, county and city funds - unheard of just a few years ago.

With the soaring cost of waterfront property it has made it difficult to acquire land solely for the purpose of putting in a boat ramp, these type projects offer us hope to keep public access to public waters!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
please Use The Monies For The New Ramps, And Upkeep, Dont Put It In The Pockets Of The Already Fatcats, An As Someone Else Said Everyone That Uses Parks An Ramps Should Pay Some Price For That Use...my .02..............chris

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
If you don't use a gas motor, you don't have to register. I don't see that changing. The upkeep of a lot of these ramps is not performed by the Wildlife agency either. If they have some type of venue at the park in Surf City, the ramp is closed for boaters. I think that is wrong, but the city keeps it up, so I guess it is a privilege of the cities'. The same applies to the ramps in Jacksonville. They had a Christmas Flotilla this past Saturday, and guess what, the ramp was closed for boaters all day. I would be angry if I had been going fishing that day, hauled the boat 20 miles, only to find that the ramp is roped off, and I can't use it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Breadman, if you have a sailboat 14' or longer, and use it on public waters... you have to title and register it. I had to do that with my 16' Hobie Cat many years ago. I think they just recently bumped the 16' requirement down to 14'.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Anyone who purchases or transfers a motorized vessel or sailboat 14 feet or longer or who owns a personal watercraft (jet ski), will be required to title the vessel effective Jan.1, 2007. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission
[/FONT]

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
i have fished there with a friend before, he has a small flat bottom boat, i made the mistake ounce an carried my bass boat down there, we were in good shape as long as the water was high, but when coming out of the creek , into the bay, trust me a bass boat dont float well in six ins of water, stayed there untill fire dept. came an got us. the fishing was great but not the running aground. ha ha ha ha ha ............chris

·
Registered
715 Posts
I see this as yet another way to get a few more of our hard earned dollars without calling it a tax. They are raising the fee while it is still low so they can gain more in percentage increases when its higher. Thats my pinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.