NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Realizing that some of our members have had the opportunity to tie on more than one vice I thought I'd enlist some help from you guys. I'm in the market for a good vice for tying saltwater flies but I don't want to spend a fortune and would like to get a good one the first time around. Most of what I will be tying will range from size 6 to 2/0 but there will be a few occasions that I will want to go up in size to at least 4/0. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, AL

·
Registered
205 Posts
just from personal experience, you can't go wrong with a renzetti. the one I have was 165 bucks. I know that it sounds expensive, but you will only need one in a lifetime. I have bought several of the cheaper vices when I was younger, and the jaws would wear out on them. the cam traveler will handle 28 to 6/0. when I bought mine from a outfitter on this site, he threw in a midge bobbin and material clip. I use to own a regal , but the set screw wore out . anyway, the vice should be what you plop down the most for in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice. I sure don't want the throw away along with your money model but a $400 vise is for someone else also. Been awhile since I was in the South Mountains. Thanks again. Al

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I thought I may as well weigh in on this one. When I first started my feeble efforts of tying flies, my first vise was a pair of medical forceps to hold a hook- clamped to a work bench with a c-clamp. This was kinda awkward to work with, but hey, if the system works don't knock it. I visit numerous fly shops- mainly to keep in tune with reality. I've had all the bell and whistle models demonstrated. They keep telling me I need a rotating vise, gages, line tension control. Right now I own four vises, the most expensive was 30 dollars- bought it 15 years ago. Can I tie a better fly on the vise today than I could on the forceps? Yes, but only by the experience gained over a period of many years. I will mention one shop that I miss which closed a few years ago, Pete's Tackle in MHC. Pete carried good stuff at good prices. Fly tying is a tremendous market today and a very personalized hobby. There's nothing like catching fish on flies or lures you make. I say buy and use a vise model in the price range that you are most comfortable with. After all its the satisfaction on the tiers part regarding the finished product that counts. No one can argue with a caught fish regardless of type of vise used to make the fly. Of course, this response is like my fly ties-personal.:)

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I started tying with a basic vise that came with a kit that I received for Christmas a couple of years, ago. I was quite happy with it and I learned to tie some decent flies with it. Last year, I got a Renzetti Traveler and started using the rotory feature. I'm simply amazed at the control that it gives me when wrapping material. My flies are much more consistant now than they were when I was using the basic vise and they just look alot better. I've seen rotory vises from priced from $70 which isn't much more than a good standard vises. For me the rotory feature is just as important to my fly vise as power steering is on my truck. Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.