NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am coming down April 2 (for about 10 days) from Pittsburgh to visit my daughter who lives in New Bern. I am towing down my 16 ft alum fishing boat with a 15 hp and would like to fish the Neuse or Trent for any of the salt water fish. I have never fished for these stripers, sea trout, drums etc. I don't want to ask for any secret spots but can anyone give me some general information as to what general areas, species would be best then, what type of rods and lures I should be thinking about bringing down. Thanks

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I am not new to the new Bern area waters, but am new myself at striper fishing there. The bridges in the Neuse and the Trent are supposed to hold stripers, and just up Trent River about one mile, you'll see Brices Creek. Fishing around the mouth of Brices may produce stripers. As fear as salt species, speckled trout in particular, the would depend on how muc fresh water is in the river. Red drum should be available. One good thing about New Bern is, you may catch salt or fresh water species in the same area. Hopefully, others who know that area better than I will come on to give you some hints. I am sure when you're able to PM, you'll get more help.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Go up the Neuse, towards Bridgeton and you will see a RR bridge, that is a popular striper spot as well. All the bridges around New Bern can produce. A white paddle tail on a chartreuse jig head, crankbaits with rattles, you could even do some good trolling deep cranks with that boat if you wanted. Up the Trent you can apply all the usual fresh water tactics for Bass/Crappie. Go down the Neuse and hit the side creeks and you can find Trout if the salt is in and there will be drum, but I would go on down to Havelock area and put in and fish farther down. And you are a quick ride on down to Beaufort as well. Being from PA you probably already have some lipless crankbaits and I use those a lot in salt as well. Shad/Mullet/Pogy type baits are the key right now as the shrimp aren't in yet. Soft baits like paddle tails or curly tails on Jigheads fished slow too. If you are going to buy any lures you want MR17 Mirrolures.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Like the others have said, work the any of the bridges crossing the neuse or trent rivers there around new bern. I'd recommend launching from Lawson Creek Park (google it, very easy to find, just off of Hwy 70. Striper will be the main event around new bern during the time you are around. Throw white, white/chartreuse, or shad colored soft plastic swimbaits on 1/4 oz jig heads or rattle traps and hard stick baits in the same colors. The topwater bite has just started so don't be afraid to throw zara spook-like baits early in the morning or late in the afternoon. If you head up either river a mile or two from new bern and have a depth finder find steep ledges rising off the main channel leading to flats with lots of timber or stumps. These kind of areas are hotspots for striper. I like to use medium light rods for soft plastics and medium rods for topwater; all my rods are fast action; I use mostly 2000 and 3000 class spinning reels w/ 20 lb braid and a 20lb fluorocarbon leader.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Hello all, I am coming down April 2 (for about 10 days) from Pittsburgh to visit my daughter who lives in New Bern. I am towing down my 16 ft alum fishing boat with a 15 hp and would like to fish the Neuse or Trent for any of the salt water fish. I have never fished for these stripers, sea trout, drums etc. I don't want to ask for any secret spots but can anyone give me some general information as to what general areas, species would be best then, what type of rods and lures I should be thinking about bringing down. Thanks
Welcome to the site! Lots of info here and helpful folks!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Thanks Nailbender8, as soon as I am able to send you a PM I will, apparently I need to send 5 posts, I hope these replies count!
You should be able to send Pm's now. When you're posting on this public forum your posts go toward your total post count. A pm (private message) is one that you can send to and receive from other site members. These are private. (Where you can discuss secret fishing stuff)

Sent from my kayak...

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Click on the "Notifications" link at the top of the page and then "Inbox". That will take you to the messaging area. Or you can click on the username of a member you want to send a PM too from within a thread where that member has posted. From the dropdown that appears click on Private Message. Hope this helps.

I have been looking all over how to make a PM, even got my wife involved couldn't figure it out. How is it done?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.