NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Flares are only required if you are operating at night. You can use a large orange flag 3'x 3' with a black square and orange ball on it as a daytime signal. Night time operations actually don't require flares but you must have a lighted device of which flares qualify. If you have a device an electronic distress signal that flashes the SOS signal automatically then you meet the requirements. A company called ACR did make one, don't know if they still do or not.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Flares are only required if you are operating at night. You can use a large orange flag 3'x 3' with a black square and orange ball on it as a daytime signal. Night time operations actually don't require flares but you must have a lighted device of which flares qualify. If you have a device an electronic distress signal that flashes the SOS signal automatically then you meet the requirements. A company called ACR did make one, don't know if they still do or not.

As far as the requirements you are incorrect you have to carry Night distress signals regardless. 46 CFR 28.145 will explain i have listed the table as listed in the CFR you cannot argue this boating is federally regulated you can choose to follow, or choose a fine if caught. Your USCG Auxiliary can be more than helpful at answering these questions and giving you a free boat inspection.

AreaDevices required
1 If flares are carried, the same 3 flares may be counted toward meeting both the day and night requirement.
Ocean, more than 50 miles from coastline3 parachute flares, approval series 160.136; plus 6 hand flares, approval series 160.121; plus 3 smoke signals, approval series 160.122.
Ocean, 3-50 miles from the coastline; or more than 3 miles from the coastline on the Great Lakes3 parachute flares, approval series 160.136, or 160.036; plus 6 hand flares, approval series 160.121 or 160.021; plus 3 smoke signals, approval series 160.122, 160.022, or 160.037.
Coastal waters, excluding the Great Lakes; or within 3 miles of the coastline on the Great LakesNight visual distress signals consisting of one electric distress light, approval series 161.013 or 3 approved flares; plus Day visual distress signals consisting of one distress flag, approval series 160.072, or 3 approved flares, or 3 approved smoke signals

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
When I sailed, the club wouldn't let you participate on a day trip unless you had night gear also just in case. Not sure if it is required, but it makes sense; stuff happens and you don't get back when you planned.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Girkman, how recently has the chart you posted been changed? Reason I ask is that most kits you buy that say they are coast guard approved only have one or two smoke signals and typically only have four handheld flares. Actually having a hard time finding one that meets the 3 - 50 mile reg.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Buyer beware.
There is alot of things on boats that are not Coast Guard approved. The best example is some of the nav lights. The angles are wrong and or they can't be seen at 2 miles. Some even appear blue rather than green. The operator is still accountable, not the company that made and sold it.

Alot of this type stuff is ripe for Chinese copy catting.
Know what you are buying and don't jump all over something because it's cheaper.
Don't focus on what you have to have to get by. Focus on why you might need it.
It may save your life.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
As far as the requirements you are incorrect you have to carry Night distress signals regardless. 46 CFR 28.145 will explain i have listed the table as listed in the CFR you cannot argue this boating is federally regulated you can choose to follow, or choose a fine if caught. Your USCG Auxiliary can be more than helpful at answering these questions and giving you a free boat inspection.

Area
Devices required
1 If flares are carried, the same 3 flares may be counted toward meeting both the day and night requirement.
Ocean, more than 50 miles from coastline
3 parachute flares, approval series 160.136; plus 6 hand flares, approval series 160.121; plus 3 smoke signals, approval series 160.122.
Ocean, 3-50 miles from the coastline; or more than 3 miles from the coastline on the Great Lakes
3 parachute flares, approval series 160.136, or 160.036; plus 6 hand flares, approval series 160.121 or 160.021; plus 3 smoke signals, approval series 160.122, 160.022, or 160.037.
Coastal waters, excluding the Great Lakes; or within 3 miles of the coastline on the Great Lakes
Night visual distress signals consisting of one electric distress light, approval series 161.013 or 3 approved flares; plus Day visual distress signals consisting of one distress flag, approval series 160.072, or 3 approved flares, or 3 approved smoke signals
You are correct. I was wrong.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This is what is confusing, went to the coast guard site, the link provided for safety equipment and this is what is there.

http://wow.uscgaux.info/content.php?unit=V-DEPT&category=virtual-safety-check

It only indicates 3 flares, hand held or aerial for coastal waters???? Which is what I thought the reg was, I was even safety checked in 2009 and this is what I was told. I only had 4 hand held flares, a CD for a mirror and whistle, I passed.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The following combinations of signals are examples of VDSs that could be carried on board to satisfy U.S. Coast Guard requirements:
• Three handheld red flares (day and night)
• One handheld red flare and two red meteors (day and night)
• One handheld orange smoke signal (day), two floating orange smoke signals (day), and one electric light (night only)

From www.boat-ed.com for VDS needed in federally controlled waters.

Not saying that Girkman is wrong, just how in the world is someone supposed to know what they need?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Girkman, how recently has the chart you posted been changed? Reason I ask is that most kits you buy that say they are coast guard approved only have one or two smoke signals and typically only have four handheld flares. Actually having a hard time finding one that meets the 3 - 50 mile reg.
look a little closer as long as they are day/night combination you will only need 3 it hasn't changed recently and if you would like to double check me just look the CFR i posted in my above reply

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.