NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rolled down the hill from Ashe County to Kerr Scott Reservoir about daylight today. I knew the lake was more than a foot below full pool (thankee USGS Streamflow Data) and the level was still slowly falling. It had been falling for several days (a condition which gives the bass lockjaw) but I figured they had to eat sometime, so I'd give it a shot.
Good thinking, Angler. Worked my kayak into the shallow coves where creeks entered SE of the Hwy 268 bridge and Blngo! Personal best day ever on this lake that I had fished for 18 years and never caught more than 1 or 2 large bass on before in a morning's outing. Using a light weight weight spinning outfit throwing a Tiny Torpedo in black/silver minnow pattern, I caught 5 largemouths over two and a half pounds and so many 12, 13,and 14 inchers
that I lost count. Three hours and I was exhausted and happy as a pig in mud! The largest bass hit the TT about 6 feet from the kayak and 'bout startled me over the side! What can I say? One of those days that I'll remember till the curtain falls!

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Man that's an awesome day of fishing no matter what you're using. Do it all on topwater and that is really over the moon. Great job, glad you got the magic going that day!

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Just goes to show that the best day to fish is when you can. Regardless of what the water level, weather, moon or anything else is doing. there are always fish to be caught, you just have to go get them.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hey Neilo, Sounds like a GREAT day. Family and I had the pontoon boat out yesterday on Kerr Scott until 8PM. Caught mostly catfish but we also landed three bass. It would have been a great day but I let something pull my prize fishing rod into the lake while I was watching the Humminbird instead of my rod. If you see my black Allegiance, with Shimano reel, IM me. :mad:
The water is getting low. I noticed signs at the Fort Hamby campground the swimming area was closed due to low water. But lots of people were swimming at Bandits Roost campground on the 268 side. Fish finder was alerting water was 7 feet deep at the boat dock and the prop was stirring up the silt.

·
Registered
507 Posts
LOL, I won't be bragging about the one that got away. My dad said he's been fishing for 70 years and never ever lost a rod to a fish. Kinda embarrassing to admit it so I tend to blame it on my tech addiction. So now I wonder if down imaging sonar is sharp enough to pick-up a fishing rod somewhere on the bottom? Anybody know?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
LOL, I won't be bragging about the one that got away. My dad said he's been fishing for 70 years and never ever lost a rod to a fish. Kinda embarrassing to admit it so I tend to blame it on my tech addiction. So now I wonder if down imaging sonar is sharp enough to pick-up a fishing rod somewhere on the bottom? Anybody know?
Did you mark the spot on your GPS? I'd be willing to take a swim with some snorkel gear to find it for you. I won't be out there till mid August however.

·
Registered
507 Posts
No I didn't but it will be my goto spot next trip. I have it memorized. Thanks for the thought. Let's just pretend it never happened and keep an eye open for sales on rods and reels. ;)

Reactions: quest4reds
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.