NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fishing lake Waccamaw lately? For in for a couple hours this morning. Was targeting pan fish, started in the weed beds on the south end.... Then the grass lines close to the big creek entrance. Not much success though... My electronics were a bit out if whack.... Showing 14ft when I could see bottom so I didn't use it. A couple bluegill, perch, couple strikes that felt like something bigger but nothing brought to the boat. But it was nice to be on the water.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My family always went to Lake Waccamaw every summer and had lots of luck with white perch, we caught a boat load (literally) one day and went the next and caught just as many. I've seen some huge catfish come out of there, we also caught a gar every fishing trip. Seems bass and brim are hard to find there. It gets really shallow at the pier closest to the dam and also the mouth of big creek, 1.5-2 ft in a lot of places, so be careful. I've always enjoyed fishing there, weekends during the summer can be extremely busy with skiers and PWC but during the week its usually pretty dead. It's a hit and miss though. Went fishing with my grandpa one day and didn't catch a thing, next day we caught a bunch of white perch. Hopefully next time you will get on some!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was down there this past weekend and the Lake has got to be close to 2 feet higher that normal for August. I understand that area has really been hit with quite a bit of rainfall in the last couple of weeks. Areas that I am use to the water being about waist deep was now shoulder deep. The river is running flat at the dam and the banks on the river side were flooded out, which is the complete opposite from the norm for this time of year. Most of the time people are hoping for a little rain because the lake is low. I fished Saturday morning for for nearly 3 hours for White Perch and then Bass and did not even get a hit. The few boats that were on the lake were moving alot, so I think everyone was searching for the fish. My boys caught some nice bream off the pier close to dark on worms, but that was it. All the fresh water has really got the the fishing thrown off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts