NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was on this forum a while ago trying to get information about fishing the Eno. You guys were very helpful and I used a lot of what you said.

I Went fishing 3 afternoons in a row about 2 weekends ago. Took my girlfriend with me and we drove to the Eno river state park. We would wade the river and just cast down stream mostly. Fished a different spot each trip.

Started off using a tiny torpedo and she had on a little beetle spin. Couldnt get the tiny torpedo to work right. the blade wouldnt really spin and it would just roll the whole time I retrieved it. I bent the blades forward, as I read that it helps but it didnt work. I switched to a 4 inch zoom worm and never went back. It seemed to be the bait they liked most. Cant remember the exact color but it was a pretty natural color. Also used a sparkly purple one. They liked both. I think these fish dont get a lot of pressure so they are pretty aggressive regardless of color.

We caught mainly largemouth with a few roanoke mixed in. The bream were around but we both had worms on most of the time and they couldnt take it all the way. The biggest fish I hooked was probably about 14 inches but he jumped and shook the hook about 3 feet from me :mad:. Most of the fish we caught were located around cover in the deeper parts of the river. A few bass were also in the shallow flats along the bank.

Had a great time and the girlfriend loved it.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
One of my favorite things to do - fish the Eno. Glad you had such success at it.
Agree with Fish_Fiend - Roanokes are a blast! They have a limited range. We're fortunate to have them around here. Not sure they're the same as Redeye. Also not sure that they're not. Gotta check.
Good report. Thanks.

Plus Fishin',
RW

·
Registered
365 Posts
Just checked. NCWRC lists Redeye, Roanoke, and Rock Bass as different fishes.

Plus Fishin',
RW

Reactions: tallastro

·
Registered
704 Posts
interesting. i assumed they were the same thing.
Roanokes fight better than redeyes.

[h=1]Roanoke Bass (Ambloplites cavifrons)[/h]
[h=2]Other Common Names[/h]Redeye, rock bass
[h=2]Identification[/h]Robust body much like the rock bass but with dark, olivegreen to olivebrown back, fading to grayish sides and white belly. Has smaller scale spots than the rock bass and lighter small whitish or yellowish spots on its upper body. Has a slightly concave outline over the eyes. Checks scaleless or nearly so.
[h=2]Best Fishing[/h]Rivers: Meherrin, Nottoway, Blackwater, of the Chowan drainage; Roanoke/Staunton, Blackwater and Pigg of the Roanoke drainage. Lakes: Leesville Reservoir, Smith Mountain. Most of the trophy "rock bass" registered by anglers are really Roanoke bass.
[h=2]Fishing Techniques[/h]Spinning and spincasting with small to medium spinner baits, small spoons and crankbaits. Live baits include minnows, crayfish, and worms.
[h=2]Feeding Habits[/h]Eats especially crayfish and small fish, young eat crustaceans.
[h=2]Habitat[/h]Has one of the smallest ranges of native game fishes of North America. It occurs only in the Roanoke and Chowan River drainages of Virginia, and the Tar and Neuse River drainages in North Carolina. It is listed as a species of special concern because of impoundments, pollution and siltation on its native rivers. Inhabits large creeks, streams and small rivers. Prefers clear but sometimes turbid waters and the dark swamp waters such as the Nottoway and Blackwater. Look for them in fairly swift deep water runs but around rocks and gravel, or at the heads of pools.
[h=2]Spawning Habits[/h]Not a lot known about its spawning habits. Apparently nests in fairly fast currents. Constructs the circular nests in gravel or clay around mid-June. Male encourages passing females to his nest and guards eggs and larval young.

·
Registered
704 Posts
FF, did you get my answer to your PM? I thought maybe you hadn't been on, till I saw you liked a post on here this evening. Didn't know if perhaps your inbox was full. Better check mine, too, come to think of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.