NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
I like breathable and stocking foot. You can layer under them as needed and wearing your choice of wading boot over the stocking foot. The depth of the water would determine whether to use the hip style or chest style. I almost always wish I would've used the chest type when I choose the hip type.

Where/when? Simple answer is when you don't want to get wet....cold water etc....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where/when... guess I mean types of water. So where I have been I never see other bank fisherman, just boaters which is usual around parts of Falls so would one use wanders then or say just in the jon boat areas?

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Only if you are trying to stay dry I guess. If you're getting in and out of a boat then you probably don't need them unless you want them to walk into the water and get your boat onto the trailer without getting wet.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question. Does this help?

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might be over thinking the problem. I get stayin dry, no boat for me so I stuck to the bank hence posting here. I was figuring there might be certain bodies of water you wouldn't want to wear them but its not sounding like that.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have a pair waist high with solid boot. Got them at Dicks fr like 80$. I use them in lakes that have very little clear banks and I want to work the bank lines. It gives me the ability to walk out I to the water a little and hit spots parallel to the bank that I can not fish from the bank. Most of the time I am using them when running top water so I can run parallel to bank. I can toss into spots that only way I could get to by being in the water. One problem is the lakes have silty bottoms and I am very careful walking out and make sure I am on solid ground. One day I started sinking in so was lucky I could grab onto a branch and help pull myself out.

I would think ya don't need them at falls but maybe the spot you are fishing might really open up with a set of waders.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Gore Tex breathable stocking foot waders from LL Bean when fishing from a float tube. LL Bean stands behind their products if you ever have a problem and I believe that they have the best CS, period. I need the stocking foot wader as I use large swim fins for propulsion when in the float tube and as others has said you can layer under them if the water is cold. I also have wading boots when stream fishing. I would suggest that you get the chest type wader as I had a pair of hip waders BUT I always got wet when water got over the top of the boots. The water in the boots is not too bad as it will eventually heat up to your body temp but I believe it is better to stay dry. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
Use whatever the terrain/bottom of the body of water warrants.....slick rocks in rivers/streams: felt, good rubber sole, or rubber sole with metal studs. Any other lake/pond without anything slick would warrant something with some traction for hiking up and down banks or whatever. For surf I think they make shoes/boots for that as well.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wear a pair of Simms goretex stocking foot waders with a pair of Simms boots. Rubber sole with starbite cleats. I usually only wear them in winter or when trout fishing in the streams here. In the summer I have a pair of stocking foot booties I use with the boots and a pair of shorts or swim trunks. I don't mind getting wet, and not wearing the chest waders allows me to get through some pretty deep pockets on the French Broad. Goretex to me is the way to go, breathable in the heat, although still warm, and you can layer in winter and stay warm. Neoprene in the summer is a no go for me. Way to hot. But get a good pair and take care of them. They'll last a while if you do your part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.