NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying that I am not a fisherman! But my son who is 15 loves it, and is the reason for my post below.

My son and I were talking with my father a few weeks back and he told us about how he used to wade for flounder with nothing more than a steel rod, stringer, and a Coleman lantern. MY SON WAS SOLD!!! Since then we have built the portable submersible LED lights and the gigs with stringers, so we are almost ready.

A long while back a friend mentioned that if you put in at the Wrightsville Beach landing and make a hard right the islands and channels in that area make for some good floundering. The difference is he was floundering from a boat and we will be kayaking over then walking. My question is about what kind of bottom is in those areas? I don't want to get into a quicksand/mud area and find ourselves in a "sticky" situation.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

~James~

**Edit** I guess I should add that I am not asking where the honey holes are. I want it to be a safe and fun trip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read where it's pretty good gigging to walk in down at the coast guard station and walk those docks at low tide up to the bridge.
just sandy bottom, no quicksand.
Nice! Thank you for the input. I wouldn't need the kayak either!

Just to be clear, so long as we are below the water line it would not be considered trespassing, right?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
As for the method. It's how I've always gigged.
Even done it on a nice big sandbar on the ocean side as the tide falls and on a calm night.

Take a stainless rod and sharpen one end. Drill a hole in the other and tie a nice long string to it. Other end of the line tie a net buoy or something similar. Stick the fish, lift him up to show him to the moon god, and let him slide the string.

The real danger is when you get on big flats. In the dark you look back and find that you have wandered 400 yards out and the tide has turned with a vengeance....and there you stand in waders.....Been real scared a couple of times like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.