NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good time, went out on the Tempo Dolce with Ed and Tom who graciously donated their boat for the day for "Military Appreciation" take a troop(s) fishin.

Left the dock at Dockside/Portside marina 'bout 5:30 a.m and headed out to the 90 drop area and 5 miles short of big rock area.

Weather, everyone knew was an issue for the day, made the post front seas bumpy for sure, but do-able. Lot's of boats out and everyone trollin'. Reports on the radio from Capt Shane (Second to None guys) they were boatin them (Wahoo) so Ed headed over that area to fall in behind. Second time around and on approach, the shimano bait runner reel with 17 lb test went off that had a yozuri orange back'd diving crystal minnow on it. Dennis pick'd up the pole then was in for the long haul on a small wahoo that picked it up..

After that, bout 20 minutes later on outrigger release pop'd and that fish had drop'd it, then came back and picked it up and at the same time the port side release pop'd and another reel sang. Randall picked up the starboard reel and I grab'd the port one.

After a brief 5 minute fight I had boated a small wahoo, Randall's had broke off and Tim had one on the spinning outfit as I brought mine in. Tim and I briefly tangled lines, but Tom (deckhand - AKA Bluewaterpirate) help clear the X-xrossed lines. Tim had a good fight with a small wahoo and brought it in on 17 lb test line to Tom awaiting with the gaff

After that,, not much happend and the Capt and mate noticed the wind picking up and with a long ride back in decided to troll towards the 90 drop area to the west of our position and give it a shot on the rise. Approaching the 90 drop, shortly after Tom yelled out we X-d over, the starboard line (jet head skirt w/rubbanded ballyhoo rig) got chomp'd and the line pop'd from the outrigger release, Randall was the only guy that hadnt caught anything, so he grab'd that rod. The hook pulled or just didnt manage to hook the fish, so he was pullin in slack line and the port reel released and sang... I happend to be watchin the back of the boat and saw the mahi come about 3 ft out of the water and immediately knew it was a good one,, so I picked up the reel, set the hook and held onto it until Randall could get ready. I passed the rod to Randall and he fought his first ever mahi on his first ever offshore trip!! 47 inch 20 lb'r!!!

Due to the winds, we settled in for the long haul back. Once back in, we cleaned up, thank'd the capt and crew and had a good time and were slap wore out for the trip home.
Before we parted, we (especially I) understand the cost/time etc.. involved in a trip such as this, so the week before we wanted to show our appreciation for the offer to take guys like us out to fish. We presented Ed with a engraved wood case knife with Ammo and A-10 engravings also donated some group patches to his son and have something special planned for Tom the wild deck hand... might be some "De-caf coffee!!!" :);) So before we left, we had Scott present Ed with a token of our appreciation for his support and his gratitude.

We had a great time, our hosts were great and was much appreciated and nice to know that folks support the troops, it means ALOT!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was close call Mike, they had some port side motor problems, but turned out to be fixable and non major, so No-go went to "go" and we were off. Seas were bumpy, big and rolly, but wind layed down long enough to fish,, then started picking back up. Definately if no go, you'd a got a call! ;)

Thank you for thinkin 'bout us!:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Poor old bluewaterpirate (old Navy guy amongst AF bubbas) ..... now come on I was stepping a fetching all day long. :rolleyes:

What a great day on the water, unbelievable company even the fish cooperated. It was a fitting day for all that volunteer to serve this nation in such a noble way. Here are some pictures and videos from yesterday.

Thanks to Dave, Randall, Dennis, and Tim watching out for us. :D

Bluewaterpirates Albums

For Dave ...

thought you'd get a kick out of this video. The Wahoo Queen is in video she said to tell you thanks. This was taken from my Whaler. 50 miles offshore in a 21' boat ... see us retired Navy guys are crazy! :D

Bluewaterpirates Albums

Tom

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx Tom! We enjoyed meetin ya and havin ya do all the work, heck of a job for a youngin.. you definately set the pace! ;)

yeah.. We held back on them Navy jokes..:eek:

Oh,, we busted on Scott about that wahoo.... UHHHHHHhhhhh.... UUUGGHHH..... ha ha ha hah a..... I've got your site bookmarked, and I'll forward it to Randall,, (we got somethin special for ya.. ) ;)

We told Randall he had to eat the head of the ballyhoo as tradition/good luck on his first ever mahi and offshore trip... But he knew us too well and wouldnt "bite off" on it... :)

Hey, many thanx again... you should of heard them guys chattin it up over dinner last night before we all headed home. Great job Chief, and effort was much appreciated! ;) Ed,, cant thank you enough as well (PM sent)

here's a couple more pix:

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For Dave ...

thought you'd get a kick out of this video. The Wahoo Queen is in video she said to tell you thanks. This was taken from my Whaler. 50 miles offshore in a 21' boat ... see us retired Navy guys are crazy! :D

Thanx Tom, passed it on to Randall as well. Man, ya ol' navy guys are crazy!! but we love ya/respect ya just the same! :p

Thanx again guys! If ya need anything else from "us" (other than Bin Laden,, we still workin that issue..) let us know! ;)

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ocean Motion,, no.. we didnt make the Bbq unfortunately.. we grab'd a quick bit to eat as we headed back to Sanford.. would've loved to have stayed, but the long trip back,, we didnt want to "fade" while driving.

Tom, thanx for the map deal posting, I'll forward to Randall and guys.. they'll find that interesting for sure! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.