NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly 50 million people in the US fish every year, and women account for only 33% of those numbers. Out numbering golf nearly 2 to 1, the sport of fishing contributes nearly $108 billion in the US economy. Why don’t more women fish? Maybe because tackle shops, “..don’t cater to women”, “husband has no patience”, “..guys won’t take me fishing” etc.

The Oak Island Parks and Recreation Department has developed the Women Anglers in Training Program, or WAIT for short, a two day fishing seminar, April 28th and 29th, just for the ladies. Experience the excitement of learning fishing skills in a stress free all women’s environment. Imagine not having you husband or boyfriend loosing patience, because you don’t know the difference between a leader and a lure!

The WAIT is scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, at Oak Island. Saturday will be a day of hands-on classroom instruction at the Oak Island Recreation Department and Sunday will be a fishing excursion to Yaupon Pier or out on private charters for practicing Saturday's lessons and some on-the-job experience.

The sessions on Saturday will include topics for the beginner and advanced fisherwomen. It will feature topics such as: Introduction to Tackle, Terms, and Technology, Basic Knots, Flounder Fishing, Speckled Trout Fishing, Red Drum Fishing, Surf Fishing, Near shore Trolling, Live Bait Slow Trolling, Throwing Cast Nets, and much more! It will feature many hands-on demonstrations.

There are two options to the WAIT program: Option One includes Saturday’s seminar, and a day of pier fishing on Sunday. Option Two includes Saturday’s seminar, and a day of backwater fishing with a charter captain. The fee for option one is $49.00. The registration fee also includes manufacturer samples, numerous door prizes and lunch both days.

Listen to what past participants have said:
“Now my husband and I have something we can do together!”
“I’d sign up again in a heartbeat, I had so much fun.”
“This is the most fun I have had in years. The weekend was wonderful!”

For information call Oak Island Parks & Recreation Department at 910-278-4747 or 278-5518 or http://www.oakislandnc.com/recreation

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.