NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing for a few hours today in my Kingfish kayak, cold and rainy compared to last weekend when I was installing laminate flooring! Had raingear on and still got a bit wet!
This is my third trip out there. No fish, no bites using jigs or spinnerbait but I did learn a few things about my rig/setup.

The PirhanaMax 220 depthfinder again failed to work thru the hull mounted with a hard foam holder and vaseline. It worked fine when outside the hull. My next effort will be a 4" PVC cup fitted/gooped to the V near the front scuppers, filled with water. I'll let you know. If I hadn't already drilled the hole and fabricated a plug for the power/transducer cable I'd just make a bracket to attach to my Scotty bar. Maybe that will be the final answer.

The water depth was up to 25-30 feet in one spot, and remains deep (8') fairly close to the long bank on the (west?). The water depth in the 2 bays at the far end are 4-5 feet right now. Saw a small batch of fish on the finder above the 30 foot mark. Too wet and cold to care at that point.

A 10 foot steelhead rod is too long as any lures that tangle at the tip require the rod to be broken down to reach the tip. Back to 6-7 foot rods.

Straight up rodholders in the fishing crate are great for open water but don't work under willows/trees close to the bank.

I am on the far side of 55 and not as flexible as required for reaching back for rods, lure box, and anchor/line in the crate behind me. Possible but difficult!

I put an anchor trolley on but attached it with steel snaps to the front and back carry handles rather than drilling more holes in the boat. It works ok but the lines are too long and can tangle with other items on deck. I will probably install pad eyes and line guides to prevent that. More holes!

I built an achor line holder out of an empty plastic spool used for electrical wire at the Home Depot in Wake Forest. A piece of 1"PVC with end caps makes a holder that fits in a rod holder and keeps the line from tangling. I don't know if it's the yellow poly line or the air trapped in the PVC tube, or both, but it floats, I checked. Nice if I needed to move quickly.

Sorry, this has turned out to be less about Wake Forest Reservoir than my rigging issues, but I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed rigging and writing about it. Kayaks are GREAT FUN, especially for do-it-yourselfers!!

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Sounds like you're working out the bugs! Good deal!

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Any day out and tinkering with new gear is a good day! I was tethered to "lappy" today for work so only watched the cool rain fall from inside... (and miles to go before I sleep).

Everything I've caught in WF Res has been small - I can only recall 1 bass over a pound in about a dozen trips. There must be some decent fish in there with the depth and the summer weed growth, but I have not run across them. Also have yet to catch a pickerel despite plenty of reports of the lake being full of them.

As for the transducer, I lexeled mine directly to the inside of the hull, inside a fitted foam block for protection and to help "pool" the lexel. Works well but I've always wondered how well it would work with different mounting options (vaseline, water cup, or exterior). Guess I won't know until I have to replace it.

I'm not 55 but will report that reaching directly behind you for rods/tackle is not great for 40-something youngsters either. Works better in the summer when you can go side-saddle and dangle feet in the water comfortably.

Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
10-4 on the try

Yep you have to work some kinks out of any new set ups and tweek the little things that will make it all seem effortless later.

thanks for the update

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
962 Posts
AS far as mounting transducer inside hull, I followed Jeff's lead and did the same. I mounted a foam block with a cut out first and tried it the first time with just water inside the block, and it worked fine. Then made it permanent. The only reservations that I have with it is the proability that temps are not correct. And for an anchor install, I would consider looking at this article: Internal Anchor Pulley System Fishing Techniques, Rigging Explanations, Kayak Recommendations and more

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
re: KINGFISH -- how's that boat working out for you? i bought one once, but it had a terrible leak in it, and had to return it. great price -- i think i saw one on sale recently for $299?

i really do like the straight-up rod holders i have attached to my milk crate. but it's a pain to turn around that far to get them, plus--as you say--they're a pain when you get too close to overhanding branches!

one-piece 7 foot rods can be a pain to untangle in kayak, too -- can't imagine trying to work a 10' steelhead rod!

would love to see a photo of that anchor line holder if/when you get a chance.

thanks for the rigging info.

// joel

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wasn't sure if I'd even like kayak fishing so I went the inexpensive route after reading the reviews and got the Kingfish. I tried it on the water several times to make sure it didn't leak, then started modifications. I think for $300 it is fine. I normally fish fairly close so speed doesn't mean much to me. I got a decent paddle and with the bucks I saved was able to get some of the other accessories I wanted sooner.
As for the anchor line holder I'll try to post a picture soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.