NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:) As some of you guys know, I have been trying to perfect the art of repairing old gothcha plugs. I am happy to say I have accomplished this feat. Well I wanted to put stainless hooks back on the plugs. I can't seem to catch Doug's in Holly Ridge open, I
REFUSE to go to East Coast in Surf City, and the marina don't have a large box of the size I want. So I make the journey to Jacksonville Wal-Mart.:) I get to Wally world and fight my way through the crowd to the fishing section. Bream busters, crappie jigs bass lures and 27 slots of aberdeen, very small, treble hooks. Now I have nothing against bass fishing etc., but this is a coastal section of the state. They did not have the treble hooks I needed, nor could I find any Khale hooks in the store. Anyone else have this kind of problem with Wal-Mart? Can we all boycott this store? Does the Wal-Mart in maybe...... Charlotte have the saltwater tackle I need? Anyone else fed up with the nation's #1 retailer and employer?

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
I don't think Walmart sticks...

I don't think Walmart stinks. I just don't go there for my fishing tackle needs. There are a lot things that Walmart provides at a very reasonable price that is more affordable for some folks that can't budget going to the mall for.

If you want Walmart to carry certain tackle, why not ask the manager to consider carrying some of the items you're interested in. Walmart's main focus is obviously not fishing tackle. It would be nice if the tackle they do carry is regionalized for the type of fishing prevalent in each area, but that kind of specialization is tough to accomodate for a specific market like fishing tackle. That is why the local mom & pop tackle store or the online specialization resource do a better job in some instances. That is an area where a local shop can compete with Walmart. Specialization. ;)

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Oh yeah - The Wilmington Wal-Mart has very little saltwater stuff. Which suit me just fine cause I hate going there anyway. Like the J-Ville store - it's usually a mad house.

I've been by Doug's three times in the last 3 weeks, all on different days - always been closed. Can't figure out his winter hours......

Did you try Eastern Outfitters in Jacksonville? The one in Hampstead carries a very good supply of saltwater gear. Also Herrings Outdoor Sports in Surf City carries some tackle.

Course if you are ever near Wilmington, Tex's tackle is very well stocked with saltwater stuff.

·
Registered
330 Posts
:) As some of you guys know, I have been trying to perfect the art of repairing old gothcha plugs. I am happy to say I have accomplished this feat. Well I wanted to put stainless hooks back on the plugs. I can't seem to catch Doug's in Holly Ridge open, I
REFUSE to go to East Coast in Surf City, and the marina don't have a large box of the size I want. So I make the journey to Jacksonville Wal-Mart.:) I get to Wally world and fight my way through the crowd to the fishing section. Bream busters, crappie jigs bass lures and 27 slots of aberdeen, very small, treble hooks. Now I have nothing against bass fishing etc., but this is a coastal section of the state. They did not have the treble hooks I needed, nor could I find any Khale hooks in the store. Anyone else have this kind of problem with Wal-Mart? Can we all boycott this store? Does the Wal-Mart in maybe...... Charlotte have the saltwater tackle I need? Anyone else fed up with the nation's #1 retailer and employer?
The man that started wal-mart was a very good man, remember the old adds "MADE IN THE U.S.A" unfortunately for us he died. I'm not sure but I believe he left the stores in his will to CHINA. jUST TRY TO FIND SOMTHING IN WAL-MART MADE IN AMERICA.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I don't think Walmart sticks...

I don't think Walmart stinks. I just don't go there for my fishing tackle needs. There are a lot things that Walmart provides at a very reasonable price that is more affordable for some folks that can't budget going to the mall for.

If you want Walmart to carry certain tackle, why not ask the manager to consider carrying some of the items you're interested in. Walmart's main focus is obviously not fishing tackle. It would be nice if the tackle they do carry is regionalized for the type of fishing prevalent in each area, but that kind of specialization is tough to accomodate for a specific market like fishing tackle. That is why the local mom & pop tackle store or the online specialization resource do a better job in some instances. That is an area where a local shop can compete with Walmart. Specialization. ;)
I asked the manager about a year ago when I was looking for a trolling motor with a certain length shaft. He told me that the warehouse blanket ships all goods to the stores. They do not even know what they are getting until the get it. they have no control over quantity or anything. This is all goods in the store execpt groc. dept.. I shop at local mom and pop tackle stores, Wal-Mart is just a last resort. The 27 slots of treble hooks I mentioned were all the same hook.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've noticed the same thing wen I come done to the OBX. They just finished several "superstores" in my area and all have very little in the way of tackle. From what I'm hearnig they are looking to get out of carrying guns and tackle. Frankly this is good news it should encourage more mom and pops tackle shops to open. I never really understood how they were supposed to be the cause of local tackle shops going out anyway. At one time we had several near High Rock now you have to go quite a ways to find one worthy of the title.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts

He told me that the warehouse blanket ships all goods to the stores. They do not even know what they are getting until the get it. they have no control over quantity or anything.
I've seen this a surprising number of times in various chain retail establishments, and don't for the life of me understand one little bit of it. I can't imagine the advantage in removing every last shred of local input from the inventory process.

Maybe they teach you about that part in MBA school... <shrug>

·
Registered
175 Posts
I know of a place in Havelock that has everything you are looking for breadman and he will ship. the hooks are not stainless steel there either gold plated or nickle cadium.
Wal-marts goal is to carry 1000 sku's in their outdoor department and as has already been stated they blanket ship to most stores their philsophy (SP) is the mangement at the store doesn't know what they want.

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts

Glad I didn't go to MBA program then. ;) I grew up with the old Sears mentality that "the customer is always right" and that you sell what folks want to buy. And most importantly that you provide service that is better than anyone else.
I've seen this a surprising number of times in various chain retail establishments, and don't for the life of me understand one little bit of it. I can't imagine the advantage in removing every last shred of local input from the inventory process. Maybe they teach you about that part in MBA school... <shrug>

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
One disadvantage Wal-Mart has is their philosophy of being low price leader and the world's largest retailer is that they try to keep their employee cost down and they have trouble in keeping honest , motivated people in ther work force. I believe that some of their managers were purposely ordering too much of a hot item or hiding merchandise to take advantage of the chain's policy of marking down items that had been in the inventory too long or had become obsolete due to the introduction of new models or changes to the existing models. I have seen evidence of this in WM and some of their competition. I think WM was trying to cut what amounts to employee theft as well as eliminate paying managers for poor performance. Another disadvantage to their present philosophy is that regional and area favorites become totally overlooked. Of course that IS what this thread is all about. MY Opinion: Wal-Mart has outgrown its management's capabilities.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Bread Man, I agree with you 100% concerning WallyMart. I would get so frustrated trying to find what I need for saltwater fishing that I just quit shopping there for my tackle. I stick to the loca tackle shops. I would rather my money stay at the beach rather than go out of state anyway. Herrings Outdoor Sports on the island carries a good selection of tackle. They probable have what you need. If not, Steve or Jessie will get it for you. Bread Man , can I ask why you refuse to go to East Coast? If you would rather not post I understand.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Oh yeah - The Wilmington Wal-Mart has very little saltwater stuff. Tex's tackle is very well stocked with saltwater stuff.
Agreed, last time I was at the Wilmington Walmart I was pretty disappointed. They used to have a decent selection of trolling lures and stuff.. but it's all fresh water and small saltwater type tackle.

Tex's would be the best bet in Wrightsville/Wilmington area. Especially for frozen baits. Good selection and well stocked.

AK McCallum's is the place for me though, and funny, they have everything (literally) for fresh/saltwater, inshore, nearshore.. charts, beach fishin.. etc.. they have it all and they're located almost 2 hours inland in Fayetteville!!!

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
As the spouse of a wally world employee I will say that I do not think they stink. That being said, I know that if I want stuff to specialize in I go to a local tackle place. However, when I stopped by my favorite little place on murchison road there was crime scene tape all over and the place was closed. I hope nothing happened there that I didn't hear about.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'd rather think of Wal Mart for what the DO have and while we don't shop there often when we do I always take a spin through the fishing tackle section. The best source for me has been several of the local shops in the Beaufort, Morehead, and Atlantic Beach area and you can always find it on line if you Google "stainless steel treble hooks".

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Ya know Dave, my stepfather works almost right across the street from ak's but I hardly ever remember to go there when it's time to purchase fihsing equipmnet. My gramps would be so ashamed of me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.