NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly. The standard staccato was replaced with something that can only be described as "draggin a drunk mutant mutt." Toss. wait, twitch, slash, wiggle, pop, pause, tap tap, repeat. It was glass calm this morning and I started with a spook jr. a change of pace for me as I usually go with a mirro lure topwater or Skitterwalk. But it's been a tough month for me and I was determined to shake things up.

As has been the case lately, bait of many varieties were everywhere I looked. Nobody wanted the Jr., so I grabbed a mirrolure 808 top dog jr. Couple casts drew zip...then I got back to the game plan and threw the change up. It got noticed! No rhythm, no pattern, lots of pauses...10-15 count pauses drew two cement block blow ups but no hook ups. Add a bit o mullet gel, cast 10 feet past a side channel, keep the junk retrieve going then stopped it dead and it got crushed by that 27 1/2" beauty pictured below.

Had several follows with that retrieve and 4 blowups, 2 hooked fish and one landed. Best day I've had in weeks.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Nice red Birdman571! I need to try more pauses like that. I have never really given it dead stick pause of 10-15 seconds as you described, but will give that a shot next time out. Nothing like top water action!

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Nice fish!
Still super slow all in all it sounds like.
I still don't get it but I have not fished but one time this week and one time last week. Not a sniff either day.
Next week will be better I predict. Can't be any worse.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dead stick update.
Since the original post, I've fished twice including today (Friday). On the first trip I had three blowups in the first 45 minutes using the very erratic, junk retrieve with long pauses. All three blowups happened when the bait was motionless.
I then switched up every other cast to see if one retrieve was in fact better. I only had one more blowup about 8am and you guessed it, fish hit on the pause. Missed it.

Im guessing with very little tension on the lure, the pressure wave created by the attack is pushing the bait away from the fish. The fish are telling me they want it stationary. Do I switch to a popping cork with a fathead? Throw a 17MR? They have pretty slow sink rates.

Anybody gotany ideas?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Been suffering from the same problem. Lot's of blow ups without may hook ups.
Some of those blow ups have been Lizardfish, Blues, Pinfish, Croakers.
If you watch the lure you will see them following it back to the boat.

Lot of bait around, could be #1 problem. And if you keep fishing the same spots, could also be a problem.

Last week the only way to hook up was with live Mullet after a series of blow ups. In a new to me spot that I have never fished before.

Hope this helps. ........ ICM

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Small and lower slot drum blow up a plug and don't get hooked often too imo. The upper slot fish seem to get hooked more often.
Oh, and seagulls too.

Galaxy S4. Slimkat 4.4.2 official.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.