NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning to go to Wallace creek in Jacksonville this weekend to do some trout and drum fishing and was wondering where there might be an area to launch a kayak or a boat ramp? Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On google maps, looking across the new river, to the opposite side I see Old town point road and Rhodes point road. Are those kayak accessible? I dont mind paddling across the new river to get to wallace.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Camp Lejeune/MCAS New River is a large base, it covers all the area between 210 and 172 (both sides of New River) from the beach to hwy 24 with the exception of the Sneads Ferry south of 172, west side of the river and a very small section north of 172 on the west side. A large chunk on land in the Holly Ridge area also belongs to the base. I realize that you are unfamiliar with the area, so I will also mention that there are a few places on Google maps where it looks like you could put in on the side of the road and paddle in. Some of these are barely ditches. Remember also, that with light to no wind, paddling New River isn't a big deal, but if the wind picks up, it will get rough. Another thing to keep in mind, while you are fishing that area, stepping on dry land in the wrong place could net you a federal trespassing citation. Be mindful of where you are.

There are 2 civilian accessible ramps that you can use to access Wallace, Northeast Creek Park in Northeast Creek (34.744032, -77.353264) and Jacksonville Landing (34.752082, -77.435257). Neither is particularly enticing to me but everything else until you are south of hwy 172 is on military property. I understand that this is inconvenient for you, but we are talking about a military installation, not a country club.

·
Registered
247 Posts
We can call them all Mill Creek, there are already 2 of those on the map.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Camp Lejeune/MCAS New River is a large base, it covers all the area between 210 and 172 (both sides of New River) from the beach to hwy 24 with the exception of the Sneads Ferry south of 172, west side of the river and a very small section north of 172 on the west side. A large chunk on land in the Holly Ridge area also belongs to the base. I realize that you are unfamiliar with the area, so I will also mention that there are a few places on Google maps where it looks like you could put in on the side of the road and paddle in. Some of these are barely ditches. Remember also, that with light to no wind, paddling New River isn't a big deal, but if the wind picks up, it will get rough. Another thing to keep in mind, while you are fishing that area, stepping on dry land in the wrong place could net you a federal trespassing citation. Be mindful of where you are.

There are 2 civilian accessible ramps that you can use to access Wallace, Northeast Creek Park in Northeast Creek (34.744032, -77.353264) and Jacksonville Landing (34.752082, -77.435257). Neither is particularly enticing to me but everything else until you are south of hwy 172 is on military property. I understand that this is inconvenient for you, but we are talking about a military installation, not a country club.
Man, I didn't realize it was that tough to get to wallace creek (from a kayak). Thanks for the info. Probably hit up northeast creek instead.

·
Registered
284 Posts
NE Creek can be as good, or better than Smith (formerly known as Wallace). That said, any of the New River creeks are good this time of year. Just depends on how long it takes to find your pattern.........

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.