NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish for walleye mainly during fall and winter each year. Mostly at Lake James and Fontana Lake. Well there is another local lake. Lake Hickory. I always knew they were there but in recent years more and more are seen. It was in past years you only heard of one here and there. Last year a buddy of mine wanted a mess of yellow perch so he went down to the dam and proceeded to throw a hair jig and minow. Low and behold he hooks a 5lb walleye. Stuff of legend, huh? In recent weeks I have ran into 2 different groups of wildlife biologist doing shock surveys and setting traps on Lake Hickory. Their concern was the decline or crappie populations in recent years. During their surveys they are consistantly netting numbers of walleye. 6lb and 8lb'ers even. Those will do damage to the crappie. I asked where they were shocking and trapping. They are setting traps at 20' on points around 40' deep. Just a bug in the ear here for those who want to explore. I plan to explore this more myself.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Smart move getting the info! I hate to see the crappie population drop but I hear wallys are good fun! Thanks for sharing..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Crummy and Sundrop.

This is a very interesting bit of information. I have been in NC for 8 months now and find the shore fishing to be challenging. I grew up and cut my fishing teeth on Walleyes in the great fishing state of MN. I would really like to find a Walleye hole. This bit of information sounds promising since Hickory is less than an hour from me. I would just like to ask if these fish were caught from shore or a boat. Thanks for the tip either way.

Mike

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Crummy and Sundrop.

This is a very interesting bit of information. I have been in NC for 8 months now and find the shore fishing to be challenging. I grew up and cut my fishing teeth on Walleyes in the great fishing state of MN. I would really like to find a Walleye hole. This bit of information sounds promising since Hickory is less than an hour from me. I would just like to ask if these fish were caught from shore or a boat. Thanks for the tip either way.

Mike
The one my buddy caught was from shore. The surveys are done by boat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It’s in Polk County off hwy 9 between Lake Lure/Chimney Rock and Columbus NC. On a road map, go from Spartanburg SC up I-26 towards Hendersonville, ‘bout half way on the right. About 100 years ago Duke Power dammed up the Green River and made a 200/300 yard wide 7 mile long lake. Lake level is at 915 ft elevation, surrounding land many times over 1000+ ft, in other words it’s in a valley. Has a 60 HP motor restriction for boats, 80 HP for pontoons. Do a search for Western North Carolina Musky Club, wncmc.com, they hit it pretty hard for the Musky. State record, 48+ lb came out of there. Come see us some time.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It’s in Polk County off hwy 9 between Lake Lure/Chimney Rock and Columbus NC. On a road map, go from Spartanburg SC up I-26 towards Hendersonville, ‘bout half way on the right. About 100 years ago Duke Power dammed up the Green River and made a 200/300 yard wide 7 mile long lake. Lake level is at 915 ft elevation, surrounding land many times over 1000+ ft, in other words it’s in a valley. Has a 60 HP motor restriction for boats, 80 HP for pontoons. Do a search for Western North Carolina Musky Club, wncmc.com, they hit it pretty hard for the Musky. State record, 48+ lb came out of there. Come see us some time.
Musky were stocked at Lake James also years ago. There have been some 40lb'ers caught but I haven't heard of any in quite a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look out NC walleye because I am coming for you! .... lol

If you would like to know more about walleye fishing try this forum... Lake Erie Fishing Reports - Ohio Game Fishing Community ...

when i move i will look some folks up here to help you hook up on some of the best eating fish in fresh water. As far as them impacting crappie .... not very likely ... perch, shad, shinners, fat heads in that order of preference.... across the country from Arkansas/Colorado/North Dakota/Ohio/New York they really don't target the white bass, crappie, bluegills type panfish... even in small lakes they are pelagic following the bait and seasonal temp changes.... If you have a boat trolling cranks at 1.2 to 2.5mph is my favorite method... husky jerks... minnow type cranks .... or shad raps....

I will post open seats when I can!

G

·
having moved from "The Sauger Capitol of the World" i can say i will miss the spring runs in the rivers. (sauger are similar to walleye, but a 5lb.er is big )
So, count me in on the fan club!
Shouldbefishin, i have a boat and will be looking foward to getting over your way to fish for them eyes.
NCIrish, not sure of your home area, but if you want to give it a go, let me know.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ghost once everything here at work settles out following the holidays we can get together and give it a go hey! Yep them Suugers are fun too.
I am in the central part of the State in a small dot called Coleridge. About 15 miles south of Asheboro off Hwy. 42.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.