NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I had a good buddy of mine catch a whopper of a walleye in Hickory 15 years ago.

There's articles somewhere from many years ago where the State rounded up a bunch of them during shock surveys. A lot in the Gunpowder area.

Edit: Read the article;

Yep, that's where they were. Just upstream from the mouth of Gunpowder. We used to fish the mouth of Gunpowder for catfish as well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I used to catch walleye up north all the time, in NY and Canada. Seeing those eyes light up at night is kinda creepy, but a lot of fun. If you're lucky enough to catch one and don't plan on keeping it, keep those fingers away from the gills!

If, on the other hand, you plan on keeping it....salt, pepper, and cracker crumbs only. mmmm

·
Registered
109 Posts
Folks get them in Buggs quite a bit, Gaston has a good stock of them also(actually stocked by fish and game). Any lake that has cool feeders or a dam above it can have walleye. Probably won't spawn but a few usually wash downstream every year.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I caught 1 and a fellow kayaker caught another afew years back while throwing the net for shad at the rhodhiss dam. This year in may i caught my first one while going for striper at the same tailrace,it was 26"+ and delicious.In the last 2 1/2 months 4 have been caught there.. These come over the dam from lake james during floods..there are a few in rhodhiss too.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts