NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I've heard they pile up below Foster Falls on the New River in Va. the middle of Febuary into March and Va. department of fisheries shocks the water for a restocking prgram. I do not know this for a fact, I've only been told by others. I was fishing there back in December and 2 guys said they caught 18 on minnows, but none big enough to keep. I was going to take my canoe up and try it but hurt my shoulder and can't fight the current.

·
Registered
51 Posts
the walleye have been in the rivers for a while,but there just now starting to bite.i fish strictly on fontana all the rivers are good that feed the lake but i prefer tuckaseegee,its the same baits year in year out ,for the spawn,chartruese twisters ,tubes ,lil fishies, white a good color to .and leadheds and minnows.i fish alot of doll flies thats localy handtied.[odd color combinations ] i'm gonna go tommrow if the rain dont wash me out

·
Registered
155 Posts
They stock eyes in Gaston lake but you rarely hear anyone talk about them. I know very little about the fish except that eyes are some very fine table fare. You say they are in the river spawning? Are they like a striper or white bass or should you do something different that targeting those species. Any help that anyone can provide as to how to target them in the river would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never fished for them. I would like to but dont know how. Where is a good place to go? I have heard that lake James was good. What about Lake Adger?
As far as I know Lake Adger doesn't have them but I have heard that Lake Summit upstream has some.

I believe there is a public launch on Lake Summitt too- small boats only.

James is good but most of the fish there do not exceed the 15" size limit

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the walleye have been in the rivers for a while,but there just now starting to bite.i fish strictly on fontana all the rivers are good that feed the lake but i prefer tuckaseegee,its the same baits year in year out ,for the spawn,chartruese twisters ,tubes ,lil fishies, white a good color to .and leadheds and minnows.i fish alot of doll flies thats localy handtied.[odd color combinations ] i'm gonna go tommrow if the rain dont wash me out
I heard they are just now going into the rivers and creeks at Fontana.

Can you bank fish the rivers emptying into Fontana (Tuck, Little T, ect)?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
theres is one pier but you can only use it effectively when the lake is near full ,the best way to go after the walleye is fish deeper when daylight still out but when the sun sets go shallow .i have been catching them after darkwhen everybody leaves, i use a 1/8 lead head chartruese with a berkely walleye edition chartruse/green its not the clear with flake its solid color. i fish very very slow,just bouncing it back.goodluck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.