NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time going for the old drum at Oriental, NC. 5 minutes after anchor the sisters hit a double to start the adventure. First landed was 49 inch female monster, second one in the boat (12 year old had a little help with the rod to fight this beast but did all the reeling herself!) was a 45 inch male. Mom came out on top with the 50 inch trophy of the morning. The 12 year old got a bonus of landing a tagger, so the state will be sending her a trophy hat to go along with these awesome pics! It was lady luck day, only 3 moose before they moved deeper. Next year the boys rotate up to first and second bite, lol. (yeah right!)
::::::::::hoping ncangler will feature the sisters picture on the front page of this site. They both said that was their goal!:::::::::

Smile Water Vertebrate Sky Fisherman
Water Smile Vertebrate Mammal Lake
Water Vertebrate Smile Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A great guide in Capt. Jennings Rose and tennis ball size pieces of fresh cut mullet on a 1oz egg sinker fishing the edge of the shoal in 8-15 ft depth he called their migration zone. Starboard was shallow and ports were off in the deep. Double hit back and port. Trophy hit deeper port. No shallow hits on that spot. Tells us they were runnin in the 10-15s on the end of the shoal. He kept fresh bait on a 6 rod half moon spread the whole time. Not sure how much he left with but he came with 40 lbs. Stayed in touch with other boats and he knew to sit tight. We had the most fish on the Sunday morning after those two fronts rolled through back to back the weekend of the 12th. He worked for us. Very appreciated!

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Congrats on some really nice reds, some great smiles, and on the front-page. Thanks for the report!

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks NCAngler for the post award and all the kind comments, they read them all. Brought those big smiles right back again to the girls seeing the post award on the home page. Made me feel pretty good since I told them when I took the pic that it was a slam dunk for the cover page! I have made the picture my desktop background at work. You can't see it and not smile yourself!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Congrats to the young ladies on their catches....there are many of us on the site who have never landed drum that big. Very happy for them. Question....when you catch a tagged fish do you clip it and send it in or record data and submit it?...thanks for the post.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.