NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where would be the better place to catch some sheepshead between wrightsville beach to Holden beach. I love to eat them the're great table fair. Just wondering

·
Registered
282 Posts
Carolina beach on Alabama ave. There is a concrete pipe that runs out into the water there. Good place for sheeps. Also across the road from fort fisher (the actual fort not the boat ramp) There is a large area with rocks you can do pretty good there.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That is a fish I have never tried to catch. I would love to give it a try..

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Though bridge pilings are known to hold them, there have been increasing numbers of anglers pressuring those "prime" locations. Any type of structure holds the possibility of being a hotspot. It can takes some time to locate the docks and individual pilings that hold the good fish, but when you do find those more hidden locations, you'll have them to yourself. Isolated structures such as channel markers should not be overlooked.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Pier pilings are where I've hooked them and seen them hooked mostly. Seen a dude with LIVE shrimp absolutely slaying the sheepshead around the pilings once.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Took the family for water front dinner in beaufort yesterday. While we waited for dinner, the sheepshead kept me and the kids entertained. High tide, super clear water and a sheepshead on just about every pylon, at the restaurant finger piers.

I personally have never really hook and line fished for them, but I have speared a many of them. At high slack tide, scrap the barnacles off your local bridge base. Watch them come from everywhere.

And I also free dive for them (spearfishing) on shack and lookout rock jetties.

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Took the family for water front dinner in beaufort yesterday. While we waited for dinner, the sheepshead kept me and the kids entertained. High tide, super clear water and a sheepshead on just about every pylon, at the restaurant finger piers.

I personally have never really hook and line fished for them, but I have speared a many of them. At high slack tide, scrap the barnacles off your local bridge base. Watch them come from everywhere.

And I also free dive for them (spearfishing) on shack and lookout rock jetties.
Last year I was at Oak Island and met a unique fellow that went simply by: "Gator". Seemed to know his stuff. He told me to do as you said and collect the barnacles off of the pier pilings and use them for bait. I never got around to it on that trip but sounded like a great idea. I think that's why those fish's teeth are formed like they are, correct? So they can scrape the aforementioned food items off the pilings?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Good luck. We got into them 2 weekends ago and I'm pretty positive they must have been small. We were in swansboro fishing pilings around a dock. Drop the line a min or 2 later they hit it set the hook. No fiddler! Did it for all I could stand. Need to go deeper with less current and scrape the barnacles like others said. Get them going good. Good luck

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I've heard it is illegal to tie up to the bridge pilings. If so, how does everyone keep their boats in place to fish pilings? Some bridges have underwater cables you don't want to get an anchor hung in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Pilings or jetties are great for sheeps, also deep holes in Lockwood Folly hold some nice 3 to 7lb fish. Fiddler or shrimp.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You can't legally tie to ANY bridge, port wall, or coast guard dock. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen......
That is correct. It has been in the books for years, but after 9/11 it started to be enforced more. So be prepared to untie when asked by Marine Fisheries.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts