NC Angler Forums banner

Should a large predator fish be stocked in this pond

• Yes (something like smallmouth or largemouth bass)

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • No just leave it as it is

Votes: 23 74.2%
  • Not sure/don't care

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a small pond in a public park not far from my house.

It's not a really a fishing pond but apparently during a big flood fish got into it.

I have seen or caught gambusia, golden shiner, bluegill sunfish and green sunfish out of this pond. Mostly very small green sunfish.

My question is would it be a good or worthwhile idea to ask the NCWRC is they would consider stocking the pond with a large predator fish i(if the town goes along with it too)?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'd say because of the environment NO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
By the looks of that pond in the picture, I would have to say leave it as it now is. I am not certain if it could support a pred for long and everyone that has replied have outlined most of the critical concerns.
Enjoy what it now supports and have fun.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a good place to pick up CATFISH bait!!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
If what we are seeing in the photo is 2/3's of the pond, leave it alone. The state will not spend money on this type of project. Normally it has to have water coming into and running out of a pond, those waters are state waters. Small holes like this are not.

Looks like a good dry spell will dry it up, stick to it as your own bait tank.

Tight line <*)))))>{

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stick yo the bait tank idea....... I have one myself... small farm pond just full of bream and sunfish... and now it has one big channel cat in it.... or it did last time I caught him..... Gotta love those big ol bait tanks!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.