NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a great day of fishing today in Newton Grove. Fished on and off for most of the day and found some good fish. Mill ponds and lakes have always been foreign to me but I hopped in a kayak and had at it. Found my first bass while crappie fishing directly under the mill. He hit a marabou jig and weighed in at three lbs. Next two came on pumpkin seed u-tail zoom worms fished weightless over some weedy shallows. Next bit of luck came on a senko and I hooked the biggest jack of my life. He was between two and three lbs but y'all have to take my word for it because he and I mutually agreed that neither of us wanted his toothy self in my yak so I shook him off at the side of the yak after my dad paddled over to see. So at least I have a witness. Found three more bass on a senko in a weed bed and lost one yo yoing in a brush pile. For only my third time kayak fishing I think I did pretty good! As a side note I just got the news that I was accepted into NCSU school of mechanical engineering so this was a great way to celebrate!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nice fishing. I drive though the Newton Grove area occasionally, but haven't heard of this mill pond. I'll have to look it up.

Congratulations on your acceptance to NCSU engineering school. Make the most of your opportunity, it's some of the best money you can spend for an engineering degree. It's served me very well. Go Pack!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the one that taste of heaven campground is on. Off of 55 hwy past warren mill road. There is a gravel ramp you can buy year passes to fish but its hard to get up with the guy. Also there is old mill stream a few miles up which has a three dollar ramp.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
I have never fished it, but have ridden by it several times. Someone on ncangler mentioned this pond before, but I can't remember who.
You were probably in your horse and buggy riding by it you old goat.

Congrats on getting into a fine Engineering school indeed Swampin'. Make sure your fishing doesn't impact your studies. College is no joke. If you don't commit yourself to put the work in you won't do well and that includes studying outside of class. Nice variety on the Mill Pond fishing. I see one of my old favorites, the marabou jig, has spanned yet another generation of fishermen.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love the marabou jig! And thanks for the good wishes! I've already got my preengineering degree from Johnston Community under my belt and with it a lot of the harder classes, calc 1,2 and 3, physis 1 and 2, etc. and to be honest, fishing has been my destresser. I do a lot of bass and crappie fishing at the ponds on campus. After every exam I go to the truck and grab a rod and forget about whether I passed or failed for a little while, while I focus on catching the giant bass that lurk in the lily pads at school. It helps more then most people realize.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
nice pics and write up, congratulations on college and the fishing as well. great picture on the front page.

Darrell

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
You old coot. You use marabou a lot because it was all you could get before marabou jigs were made commercially. By the way, what bird or birds are marabou gathered from Dr H.

You were probably in your horse and buggy riding by it you old goat.

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
You old coot. You use marabou a lot because it was all you could get before marabou jigs were made commercially. By the way, what bird or birds are marabou gathered from Dr H.
Do NOT prod me to hijack this fine young engineering students thread with an 'Ask Dr. H' question. It's a good question though. Post it on the proper thread and Dr. H will impart his vast knowledge upon the world......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts