NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's that time of the year again.

I'm up late sitting at my desk and a thought came into my head.
I got up and got my Strong's concordance and started searching
and bingo there it was in black and white and RED!!!

Matthew 17:27 NIV and in red print !!!!
"But so that we may not offend them, go to the lake and throw out your line.
Take the first fish you catch; open it's mouth and you will find a four-drachma
coin. Take it and give it to them for my tax and yours."

Two things I noticed,Yeshua (Jesus) paid Peter's tax too!!!
It did'nt mention what Peter done with the fish I think he released it.
I know I would have!! If he did released it, then it's probable He was a fly fisherman.
The Bible dose'nt mention the fly he used, but I'd really like to know!
Was it a dry fly, nymph or streamer, I bet it was a dry fly and a really nice fish!

If anyone has some insight on this I'd really like to know!!! :confused:

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
You could be on to something here with the fly fishing. I never consider that angle :eek:

We do know Peter used nets to catch fish:

Matthew 4:18: As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fisherman. (NIV)

There are a number of other passages about Jesus and fishing. One of my favorites is found in John 21: 1-14.

Seems Peter practiced catch and eat for sure - see the above passges for an example.

I think like many fisherman, he used a variety of techniques and methods. After all, he fished for a living. Hey - maybe he even provided some guide services from time to time. I'll have to check into that one more closely :)

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
One thing for sure...Jesus Christ must have been an extremely compelling personality, because fishermen were willing to leave their nets and their boats and follow after him. Someone once said that Jesus' words demanded a decision and it appears from scripture and from historical evidence that those who came in contact with him either passionately loved him or vehemently hated him. I think the same is true today. And he still calls us to leave our nets (vocation) or anything else that owns us and surrender it to him and to follow him. The result of that decision is both life-changing and eternal.

Of course it is mere conjecture on my part, but I can't help but believe that heaven will include fishing in some form as a recreational activity. :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
...go to the lake and throw out your line.
Well, I guess he must've been a fly fisherman, otherwise he would have thrown his lure, not the line. Might have to check the Greek....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You're not only a fly fisherman, but a wise man Lefty, I did'nt think about that.
Now the question is, was it floating line or sinking?
the reason I ask is, I would love to catch a fish like that, and I'm working with a deadline here.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hmm, more research may be required. In NASB it says
"...go to the sea and throw in a hook, and take the first fish..."

The lexicon built into this version says that the word "hook" was translated from "agkistron", meaning "a fishhook"; related to "agkalh" and "agkos", a bend, a bent arm, or a bent thing...

Might have to wait a while to learn the details of the technique.

Or, perhaps the point of the matter might not depend on the particular fishing technique used.... :rolleyes:

Reactions: NCangler

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hallelujah (praise YAHWEH) I caught this elusive faith fish and it had 3000 bucks in it's mouth. Exactly one week to the day that I wrote this post my prayers were answered. It had more to do with a fly fisherman than fly fishing, and faith rather than technique. Never underestimate the workings of a living God, He is the same yesterday today and forever.

Hallelujah Yeshua Ha Meshiach !!!

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
We're going to need more details! ;) God is our provider for sure. And now that I am self-employed again I am already seeing his faithfulness. :)
Hallelujah (praise YAHWEH) I caught this elusive faith fish and it had 3000 bucks in it's mouth. Exactly one week to the day that I wrote this post my prayers were answered. It had more to do with a fly fisherman than fly fishing, and faith rather than technique. Never underestimate the workings of a living God, He is the same yesterday today and forever.

Hallelujah Yeshua Ha Meshiach !!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To tell you the TRUTH, the ONLY thing I asked for was His mercy, my goal is to be exactly like His SON!!!. Being a fly fishing guide in the great smokies, in January, takes faith. Every thing slows down except bills, taxes, and preparations for the new year that all take money. I have learned to ignore all these things and keep my mind on what really matters, and thats my progress in imitating my master. I've learned when I do this, He takes over, and I prosper! When I focus on Him, He focuses on my needs.

Matthew 6:31
So do not worry, saying, what shall we eat? or what shall we drink? or what shall we wear? (this includes new waders) For the pagans run after these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them.(He see's your wet socks) But seek first his kingdom and his RIGHTEOUSNESS, and all these things WILL BE given to you!!!

WE ARE TOO BLESSED, TO BE STRESSED!!!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.